Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: florence on November 05, 2010, 01:32:27 PM

Title: Manufacture date for CB500
Post by: florence on November 05, 2010, 01:32:27 PM
Does anyone have a list of known frame numbers which are pre 1973 to offer as a guide before sending precious money to Honda, only to discover that one's motorcycle is not as old as one might have thought?

For example, my frame number is CB500 - 2069xxx

According to SOHC4.net K2 frames start 210 but according to Honda, mine is a K2.  I am confused.  Has anyone known Honda to get their dates wrong?  Interestingly, there are bike companies around who claim they can issue dating certificates without using Hondas database.  What would happen if a dating certificate is issued by one company or club which differs from what Mr Honda says?

I have noticed a lot of imported CB500s turning up which have age related plates for 1972.  Are these accurate datings or just a considered opinion?  As an expert on CB500s I know that my machine is identical to a 1972 machine even though it has a 1975 registration plate.

I only ask these questions because these things seem to affect the value of our machines quite significantly.
Title: Re: Manufacture date for CB500
Post by: Bryanj on November 05, 2010, 06:02:12 PM
The only accurate dating is with Honda and costs about