Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: TezzerTel on December 17, 2024, 11:54:42 PM

Title: David Silvers Wiring Loom
Post by: TezzerTel on December 17, 2024, 11:54:42 PM
I've got the David Silvers Wiring Loom for my 550 but the wire colours are different. Obviously I've asked them if they have any information on what should be what but they are no help. Has anyone else found this and worked out what's what?
Title: Re: David Silvers Wiring Loom
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on December 18, 2024, 05:09:20 AM
That's why I went for the Elextrex one on my 400, all original colours plus marginally cheaper, not sure if they list your model.

Someone here might have fitted the DS one, when I have encountered similar issues on bar switches there is usually some sort of logic where they use a lot of black wires with a trace colour that matches the original single colour. eg Light Blue becomes black with a light blue trace. Another issue is the original colours can fade quite badly so a lot of blues & light greens look similar, stripping back the wire on the original loom to reveal an unfaded colour can help.

On my 500 I just replaced the connector blocks and repaired the loom bindings & soldered in some replacement bullets as needed..

Title: Re: David Silvers Wiring Loom
Post by: deltarider on December 18, 2024, 08:06:30 AM
I've got the David Silvers Wiring Loom for my 550 but the wire colours are different. Obviously I've asked them if they have any information on what should be what but they are no help. Has anyone else found this and worked out what's what?
Have you verified the loom is meant for your specific model including its 'area code'? Consult CMSNL.
Title: Re: David Silvers Wiring Loom
Post by: Bryanj on December 18, 2024, 09:30:20 AM
Is yours block connectors or seperat wires mate
Title: Re: David Silvers Wiring Loom
Post by: TezzerTel on December 18, 2024, 11:57:00 AM
All the plugs and connectors are the same as the original just the wires are different colours
Title: Re: David Silvers Wiring Loom
Post by: Bryanj on December 18, 2024, 12:25:01 PM
You should be fine to fit it but you may need to trace out the switch wires
Title: Re: David Silvers Wiring Loom
Post by: mickwinf on December 18, 2024, 04:54:40 PM
why oh why would anyone make a wiring harness with different colours? it makes no sense, its no harder to do the correct colours than incorrect ones. I have no beef with silvers normally but they should not sell such inferior stuff to enthusiastic Honda owners who spend many thousands of pounds with them.
Title: Re: David Silvers Wiring Loom
Post by: taysidedragon on December 18, 2024, 05:47:43 PM
why oh why would anyone make a wiring harness with different colours? it makes no sense, its no harder to do the correct colours than incorrect ones. I have no beef with silvers normally but they should not sell such inferior stuff to enthusiastic Honda owners who spend many thousands of pounds with them.

I quite agree. It's penny-pinching to use different colour wires, the correct colours are available and can't be much difference in cost.
Title: Re: David Silvers Wiring Loom
Post by: Mike_Berkshire on December 18, 2024, 09:49:35 PM
I have had some fun and games with my loom that I think I have now managed to overcome. The essential thing for me was getting the right wiring diagram to work from. I don’t know what year/ model yours is but I found out that my 76 K2 has unique wiring. Much is the same as earlier or later models but there are differences and I had to make allowances for the replacement switchgear and the replacement sub loom. I ended up creating my own conversion chart from what I had to what it should be in the correct wiring diagram. Once I had that with a decent multimeter it didn’t take long. The various supplements in the shop manual have the different wiring diagrams.

I agree that it makes no sense to produce these looms with the wrong colours.