Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: Sesman on January 07, 2025, 03:37:32 PM

Title: CB550 F2
Post by: Sesman on January 07, 2025, 03:37:32 PM
One fully restored seat…opinions please as it’s a diy job.

Title: Re: CB550 F2
Post by: Bryanj on January 07, 2025, 04:25:45 PM
Looks good to me
Title: Re: CB550 F2
Post by: Johnny4428 on January 07, 2025, 05:43:54 PM
That’s a nice job! Excellent work, I don’t think I would tackle something that tricky although I did do a C90 seat but it had no fancy trim, just a cover and strap.
Title: Re: CB550 F2
Post by: Laverdaroo on January 07, 2025, 06:03:13 PM
love it Phil, top skills mate ;) :)
Title: Re: CB550 F2
Post by: Sesman on January 07, 2025, 06:05:27 PM
Thanks everybody. I was keen to restore to standard, but without a handy reference I was a little unsure as to how it should be. Photos and others restos can be unconsciously deceptive.

Next post will be on the bike.
Title: Re: CB550 F2
Post by: Laverdaroo on January 07, 2025, 06:15:16 PM
Credit where credit's due phil, that's the swingers that bud! ;)
I'm up in 'Gods own' for three weeks at the end of Jan doing a job just near Pannel if you're up for a coffee and a moan at some point mutually agreeable? ;) 8)
Title: Re: CB550 F2
Post by: Sesman on January 07, 2025, 06:26:31 PM
Aye, that sounds good. I owe you a coffee and a sarnie. Stay in touch👍
Title: Re: CB550 F2
Post by: Laverdaroo on January 07, 2025, 06:45:00 PM
Roger ;)
Title: Re: CB550 F2
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on January 07, 2025, 07:55:38 PM
Okay Phil, I'm assuming you have restored the seat, looks very good imho, would be great to see before, during photos with how to tips.

My SD came with a new cover, I've no idea how to remove the old one, I'm hoping there is a U-Tube video. I suspect cutting it off with a Stanley knife is not the best idea.
.
Title: Re: CB550 F2
Post by: Sesman on January 07, 2025, 09:10:53 PM
Hi, Ted. Unfortunately I lost a good deal of my ‘build’ photos when my IPad got a bit ‘damp’ mid pacific. I wasn’t synced with the ‘cloud’ unfortunately. The seat pan and cover was purchased from a fellow member and was in 1st class condition. I had the pan powder coated and fitted the cover myself….it was a doddle. I lost the accompanying seat strap, but managed to source a buckle from DS and a length of generic strap from eBay.

The biggest headache was supplementary packing foam, a small semi circular shaped piece to the rear of the seat that makes the Super Sport shape so distinctive. Through trial and error I now have a pattern if anybody needs a copy.
Title: Re: CB550 F2
Post by: Laverda Dave on January 07, 2025, 10:41:40 PM
Great job Phil. I used to be a Coach Trimmer and I'd be well happy with that, well done👍.
Title: Re: CB550 F2
Post by: Sesman on January 08, 2025, 11:45:40 AM
Thanks.

And here it is fitted to the bike…perfect.
Title: Re: CB550 F2
Post by: Laverdaroo on January 08, 2025, 06:26:00 PM
Thats mint Phil ;)
Title: Re: CB550 F2
Post by: Mike_Berkshire on January 08, 2025, 07:01:50 PM
That looks top notch, well done! I’m definitely not posting a picture of mine now :-)
Title: Re: CB550 F2
Post by: Johnny4428 on January 09, 2025, 10:08:18 AM
That’s a cracking looking bike Phil! Have you had it running?
Title: Re: CB550 F2
Post by: Sesman on January 09, 2025, 03:24:00 PM
Thanks.

I actually finished it before my 7month stretch sailing Clipper, but  I wasn’t happy with some of my work. I’ve refinished the seat and repainted the alternator and drive covers. Plus I only plumbed one disc of my double disc conversion until I resolve the missing grommet bracket needed to support the offside brake pipe.

The motor runs really sweet, but so it should as it’s only done 17000Miles and has been completely refurbished internally:bearings, seals, rings, chains, dampers, guides etc.

I have a video somewhere documenting the first start, but goodness knows how I upload that. I can’t be fussed with U-tubing it.