Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: Tony M on January 15, 2025, 09:28:19 AM
-
hi there,
Anyone got any advice regarding cb400/4 down pipes. I need to make a choice between re-chroming originals or replacing with david silver system. Anyone got any experience, price isn't the number one factor, finish, quality, etc, important.
-
Hi Tony,
Maybe not a great help to you, I know someone who bought a set of pipes from DSS a few years back. The collector assembly with 2 & 4 headers were original but headers 1 & 3 were pattern and a poor fit. The section coming from the head before it bends down was too long so the four downpipes weren't all perfectly aligned. Also looking from the front where they sweep across weren't even.
Like I said that was a few years ago and don't know if the issues were resolved.
-
See my PM to you !
-
The original Honda downpipes are double-skinned and are first choice for most people, if they have that option.
If you have a decent set of originals I would look into re-chroming them, but many chromers won't re-chrome used exhausts - it fecks up the chemical tanks. If one will do it, better sit down before you get the price!
The original exhaust manufacturer in Japan announced a small batch of new exhausts last year for a princely sum, but probably all spoken for by now.
I bought David Silver pattern downpipes for mine about 8 or 9 years ago. They are single skinned and 4 separate pipes into the collector box. They were difficult to fit but lined up pretty well eventually. The chrome is good, but the bike is mostly ridden on dry days and lives in a dry garage. The bike's only been ridden on salty roads a couple of times in the last 6 years (Santa Toy Runs) and then the bike is washed and dried so I can't say how the chrome would last if left untouched.
-
I bought a set about a year ago from DSS. They fit perfectly and look amazing. I was skeptical after reading the posts and discussion on the forums about their fit and function. I have put over 600 miles on them on hot and dry days! There is zero sign of turning amber or blue. I have no way to prove it but i believe the newer ones are double wall.
2 of the pipes are welded to and a part of the collector like the original.
-
Nice bike. Out of interest, how is the clutch cover finished please?
-
Pacific,Washington. I was in Seattle last April and stayed for a few days in Belltown🫣😳, before visiting Bainbridge Island….what a contrast!
-
Nice bike. Out of interest, how is the clutch cover finished please?
Duplicolor 1615 with catalyzed Omni PPG clear on top.(or lacquer as it's called over there)
-
Pacific,Washington. I was in Seattle last April and stayed for a few days in Belltown🫣😳, before visiting Bainbridge Island….what a contrast!
There are some great curvey roads on Bainbridge Island!
-
There are indeed. But no Biscuit Bitch…🤨
-
There are indeed. But no Biscuit Bitch…🤨
I have heard of Her, but never been there.
-
Had to Google that.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-
Thanks for all the replies, food for thought. Much appreciated.
-
Yup, Biscuits, sausage gravy and two eggs. Retreat to the hotel roof and watch the wildlife in Belltown.
-
A set of DSS pipes were installed on my '76 400 by the previous owner in '21. They look like the originals did to my eye and there is no pipe discoloration at all.