Honda-SOHC

Other Stuff => Tricks & Tips => Topic started by: Laverda Dave on January 17, 2025, 09:33:13 PM

Title: The power of bread!
Post by: Laverda Dave on January 17, 2025, 09:33:13 PM
Thought I’d share a trick I learnt to do with bread and its power to act as a bearing removal tool where all else has failed!

I had to remove the blind gear shaft bearing from the TL125S to enable the cases to be vapour blasted. Nothing would shift the bearing and then I remembered the slice of bread trick. Basically you stuff bread into the blind bearing and tamp it down with the head of a suitable sized bolt. Keep stuffing bread into the bearing recess and eventually it will push the bearing out AND you have a handy snack when the job is done :)
Title: Re: The power of bread!
Post by: Johnny4428 on January 17, 2025, 10:23:03 PM
If I hadn’t read something about this some time ago I would have been accusing you of taking the Micky Dave! 🤣  Brings a whole new meaning to using ones loaf!
Title: Re: The power of bread!
Post by: Laverda Dave on January 17, 2025, 10:33:50 PM
 ;D ;D
I couldn't believe it when it worked Johnny ::). A brand new bearing puller for 5p ;D
Title: Re: The power of bread!
Post by: Johnny4428 on January 17, 2025, 10:37:24 PM
Unseeded of course! Wholemeal? 😜
Title: Re: The power of bread!
Post by: Rozabikes Tim on January 17, 2025, 11:31:04 PM
Crumbs. Good job it worked the bearing must be toast now!
Title: Re: The power of bread!
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on January 18, 2025, 06:46:36 AM
Awaiting Nigel’s scientific/engineering view on this.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: The power of bread!
Post by: neat street on January 18, 2025, 08:26:06 AM
good tip,
we used to use plasticine in the old days, or blue tack.
Title: Re: The power of bread!
Post by: Spitfire on January 18, 2025, 10:14:21 AM
Unbelievable, never heard of that one.

Cheers

Dennis
Title: Re: The power of bread!
Post by: Nurse Julie on January 18, 2025, 10:16:33 AM
At yeast you can eat it when the job done 😁😁😁
Title: Re: The power of bread!
Post by: Orcade-Ian on January 18, 2025, 10:26:17 AM
Back in the days when you could buy service kits for car water pumps, I bought a tin of Castrol Water pump grease - in a metal tin!  Must be the heaviest grease I've ever seen!  Still have over half of it left and I always use that to remove bearings and bushings from blind holes - particularly spigot bushes in cranks. 
Good tip with the bread though and an old uncle of mine who was a plumber used to push bread into a wet pipe before soldering, so that any moisture was prevented from spoiling the joint.  When the supply was returned, the bread plug just dissolved.

Ian
Title: Re: The power of bread!
Post by: SumpMagnet on January 18, 2025, 10:47:07 AM
Only trouble with using this method is, if it fails..the bearing is TOAST
Title: Re: The power of bread!
Post by: Laverda Dave on January 18, 2025, 03:36:23 PM
Unseeded of course! Wholemeal? 😜

 ;D
Sainsburys Wholemeal Johnny although other bread bearing pullers are available  ;)
Title: Re: The power of bread!
Post by: MCTID on January 18, 2025, 05:01:40 PM
I could offer my congratulations on that splendid trick Dave, but you'd think I was just 'bettering you up' ! LOL.

You learn something new every day though.
Title: Re: The power of bread!
Post by: Laverdaroo on January 18, 2025, 10:50:41 PM
It's a myth, the french stick I used was rubbish! ;)
Title: Re: The power of bread!
Post by: Rozabikes Tim on January 19, 2025, 09:34:26 AM
It's a myth, the french stick I used was rubbish! ;)

All wong Roo. Use that on the build to hold things in place. Cheaper than Loctite too.
Title: Re: The power of bread!
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on January 20, 2025, 03:16:29 PM
Just (b)read Dave's  post again,  sounds unbelievable.
Is it fair to say the outer race must have not been that tight to work in your case or is the breadraulic pressure more powerful that it sounds?
Title: Re: The power of bread!
Post by: Laverda Dave on January 20, 2025, 04:59:01 PM
The outer race was tight enough not to want to budge Ted even when I applied a bit of local heat to the case. It was definitely the bereadraulic power of the loaf that moved it. I think they are going to make a new edition of Wallace & Gromit for next Christmas TV with a working title called 'Using your Loaf, the curse of the Bakers Dozen'.
Title: Re: The power of bread!
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on January 20, 2025, 05:13:21 PM
 ;D ;D ;D
Title: Re: The power of bread!
Post by: Bryanj on January 20, 2025, 05:33:41 PM
There are special pullers that expand inside the centre race with a small lip at the bottom to go under the race, cost a fortune though.
I have had success before with an old style rawbolt or if a plain bush like a spigot bearing grease and tap in a decent fit bar, just like you did with bread, i gues the bread got into the race and gummed it whilst grease would just push out