Honda-SOHC

General => New Member Introductions => Topic started by: chrisCB750F2 on January 18, 2025, 05:35:43 PM

Title: New Member from Aberdeenshire.
Post by: chrisCB750F2 on January 18, 2025, 05:35:43 PM
Evening Folks!

I like to follow rules, so I'll introduce myself as Chris. I've had a 1978 CB750 for perhaps 10 years or so now I think!? In that time, I've ridden it perhaps one mile! It was purchased in boxes and parts though the engine was whole. I bid on it on eBay, not really thinking I'd win, or knowing much about them. Back then, I just knew they made cool café racers!

Over the years as I've had spare cash, I've tried to get stuff for it. Pic should be attached, if I've done it correctly! Original seat but re foamed and covered. Replica tank beaten out of flat sheet aluminium when mine was rotten. Carpy 4 into 1 as it didn't have an exhaust. It's got a set of Murrays carbs, so they're correctly jetted two into 2 branch manifolds. I gave up on the original carbs. Realised I dislike carbs. I've gotten it back from a garage after retrofitting electronic ignition and it's running better than it ever has.

I've joined to ask a few tech questions and see if I'm going to be able to finish this off, or if it's going to be put up for sale. See how the answers to the questions go!

Nice to join and say hi, especially after years of browsing the site to see others peoples questions, see if they'd answer mine.
Title: Re: New Member from Aberdeenshire.
Post by: taysidedragon on January 18, 2025, 05:43:47 PM
Hi Chris. Welcome to the forum.
I think you need 5 posts before you can attach pics.
Title: Re: New Member from Aberdeenshire.
Post by: chrisCB750F2 on January 18, 2025, 05:57:06 PM
Cheers Mr Dragon! It's shown it as attached, it's said that it's been viewed a couple time too but that's maybe been by me! haha
Title: Re: New Member from Aberdeenshire.
Post by: Nurse Julie on January 18, 2025, 06:22:15 PM
Welcome to the forum Chris.
Title: Re: New Member from Aberdeenshire.
Post by: chrisCB750F2 on January 18, 2025, 06:31:04 PM
Cheers!
Title: Re: New Member from Aberdeenshire.
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on January 19, 2025, 07:14:37 AM
Hi Chris. Welcome to the forum.
I think you need 5 posts before you can attach pics.
I changed that a while back.

We don’t get many spammers on here so I relaxed the “standard” rules.

Steve


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: New Member from Aberdeenshire.
Post by: taysidedragon on January 19, 2025, 11:18:03 AM
Hi Chris. Welcome to the forum.
I think you need 5 posts before you can attach pics.
I changed that a while back.

We don’t get many spammers on here so I relaxed the “standard” rules.

Steve

Thanks Steve, good to know. It wouldn't display when I first tried to look at it, but working OK now.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: New Member from Aberdeenshire.
Post by: Johnny4428 on January 19, 2025, 03:25:01 PM
Hi Chris, welcome to the forum. Great source of information to tap into here.
Title: Re: New Member from Aberdeenshire.
Post by: chrisCB750F2 on January 19, 2025, 04:23:20 PM
Thank you all, I have the search function open, see if I can get an answer to my first question, the decider for carrying on or throwing in the towel.
Title: Re: New Member from Aberdeenshire.
Post by: Sesman on January 19, 2025, 06:41:37 PM
Sorry Chris, but was the question?
Title: Re: New Member from Aberdeenshire.
Post by: Sesman on January 19, 2025, 06:43:36 PM
I wouldn’t bother with the towel, you seem to have already thrown everything else at it😁
Title: Re: New Member from Aberdeenshire.
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on January 19, 2025, 08:26:53 PM
Welcome to the forum Chris.
Title: Re: New Member from Aberdeenshire.
Post by: Sesman on January 19, 2025, 09:23:51 PM
Oh, yes…welcome Chris.👍

Interesting steed you have there. That carburettor modification is very interesting….is it a novel solution?
Title: Re: New Member from Aberdeenshire.
Post by: Athame57 on January 20, 2025, 12:28:08 AM
Hi Chris
Welcome here!  ;D
Title: Re: New Member from Aberdeenshire.
Post by: Sesman on January 20, 2025, 10:37:14 AM
Ahhhh. Mikuni carbs..got it😌
Title: Re: New Member from Aberdeenshire.
Post by: Martinf2 on January 20, 2025, 02:31:05 PM
Hi Chris,  we have something in common as we both seem to be F2 people plus I've only very recently joined. Aberdeens weather  challenges the bravery on the motorcyclist doesn't it ?
Title: Re: New Member from Aberdeenshire.
Post by: chrisCB750F2 on February 02, 2025, 06:54:07 PM
Sorry Chris, but was the question?

Apologies for the delay in replying, the question...

If I remove the tappet covers off the top of the motor, should I see evidence of the oil circulating? I see it in the tank, there's a return flow to it, but at the top with the tappet covers off, I don't see anything.
Title: Re: New Member from Aberdeenshire.
Post by: chrisCB750F2 on February 02, 2025, 06:57:49 PM
Oh, yes…welcome Chris.👍

Interesting steed you have there. That carburettor modification is very interesting….is it a novel solution?

Murrays Carbs in South Carolina I believe. My standard carbs had been to a couple of experienced places and couldn't get them to seal well, or get the floats to properly stop the overflows to leak fuel over the garage. So, a trim down to just the two, hoping it was easier to balance and less to clean up. Plus Pay in Three, sold. They get in touch and ask about the bike, what exhaust etc is fitted and jet it and test it accordingly. Sadly, I've not had mine started to properly test them.
Title: Re: New Member from Aberdeenshire.
Post by: chrisCB750F2 on February 02, 2025, 06:59:11 PM
Hi Chris,  we have something in common as we both seem to be F2 people plus I've only very recently joined. Aberdeens weather  challenges the bravery on the motorcyclist doesn't it ?

Yes. Yes it does! Pyjamas under my jeans and three jumpers, all helps! You gotten yours running??
Title: Re: New Member from Aberdeenshire.
Post by: Bryanj on February 02, 2025, 07:13:22 PM
You may not see oil about with tappet covers off but if you rev it oil should splash over everything in sight outside of rocker cover to give many happy cleaning hours
Title: Re: New Member from Aberdeenshire.
Post by: chrisCB750F2 on February 02, 2025, 08:28:56 PM
You may not see oil about with tappet covers off but if you rev it oil should splash over everything in sight outside of rocker cover to give many happy cleaning hours

Perfect, thank you, that's probably my main question for now answered. It's certainly not splashing when it's revved. I've got a couple of bike friendly Liqui Moly engine cleaners coming and I've a deck of Oil Filters from DS Spares. That's my first port of call, after that, if it's engine out and stripping to clean the oil galleries, well, I've already inventoried and boxed all the spares for an advert...put it that way.