Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: Mike_Berkshire on January 26, 2025, 09:54:42 PM

Title: New wheel rims
Post by: Mike_Berkshire on January 26, 2025, 09:54:42 PM
Next job is rebuilding the front and rear wheels. I’m planning to use the Millyard method as others have used this method and say it works well. It is my first attempt at wheel building so I’m a bit nervous but up for the challenge.

I’m planning to buy the rims and spoke kits from David Silver. Any feedback on the DS rims/kits from those that have used them would be welcome.

Also, I am assuming I should hang on to the original rims as folks going for originality might be interested in them for rechroming?

Cheers, Mike
Title: Re: New wheel rims
Post by: Nurse Julie on January 26, 2025, 10:31:07 PM
I prefer the David Silver wheels with stainless steel spokes from Central Wheel Components.
Title: Re: New wheel rims
Post by: nairb on January 26, 2025, 11:42:48 PM
Have you tried to get a wheel rim re-chromed?... very expensive. I have found Honda spokes from DSS to be fine.  But if you want stainless.....
Title: Re: New wheel rims
Post by: Murf on January 27, 2025, 12:08:51 AM
There is a lot of work and money in building a wheel so I would always  go for stainless spokes because they don’t discolour.  The old zinc plated spokes lasted well but new ones don’t seem to have the same corrosion resistance.   Just my opinion and I guess genuine Honda or DID spokes might be ok. 
Title: Re: New wheel rims
Post by: Sesman on January 27, 2025, 10:08:36 AM
I went for s/s rims and spokes. All ok so far, 3 years in.
Title: Re: New wheel rims
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on January 27, 2025, 10:16:49 AM
I went for SS spokes & anodised alloy rims on my 400. They still look like new 2 plus years but only 400 dry miles.
Title: Re: New wheel rims
Post by: Johnny4428 on January 28, 2025, 03:33:08 PM
I have done two bikes previously with SS spokes and DS rims. My current project 550 I have done with DS rims and DS spokes to keep cost down. Plus I decided that I won’t intentionally be cruising about on rainy days.😜
Title: Re: New wheel rims
Post by: nairb on January 28, 2025, 05:16:54 PM
It also depends on the make of bike.  I have rebuilt several Suzuki wheels for the old triples and had no choice but to get SS spokes. Original Suzuki spokes are either the same cost as SS or are mostly unattainable.  Not sure about the Kawasaki/Yamaha bikes
At least with Honda, there is a choice to use new zinc plated spokes at half the price.  These bikes rarely see a salted/muddy or wet road anyway.
Title: Re: New wheel rims
Post by: ST1100 on January 29, 2025, 06:46:45 AM
These bikes rarely see a salted/muddy or wet road anyway.
Yeah, but what about dog piss? (it has grown like a "new sport" over here to soil other's property by motivating your pet to perform its business on it...  :-\ )
Title: Re: New wheel rims
Post by: taysidedragon on January 29, 2025, 10:33:25 AM
These bikes rarely see a salted/muddy or wet road anyway.
Yeah, but what about dog piss? (it has grown like a "new sport" over here to soil other's property by motivating your pet to perform its business on it...  :-\ )

Grrrr!
Title: Re: New wheel rims
Post by: ST1100 on January 29, 2025, 10:35:37 AM
Grrrr!
Indeed...  >:(