Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: Bradders on February 09, 2025, 12:47:36 PM

Title: Adjusting cam chain tensioner on my 400/4
Post by: Bradders on February 09, 2025, 12:47:36 PM
Afternoon. Am going to adjust my cam chain tensioner in the next couple of days but am unsure how to do it. Would appreciate any tips or guidance on the best way to do it. Thanks in advance.
Title: Re: Adjusting cam chain tensioner on my 400/4
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on February 09, 2025, 01:01:27 PM
There is the workshop manual way, I used Bryans method on my 400 & 500.

There is the requirement of course to know the horseshoe adjuster is not seized.
Title: Re: Adjusting cam chain tensioner on my 400/4
Post by: Bradders on February 09, 2025, 01:17:59 PM
Thanks Ted. I’m not sure I know Bryan’s method.
Title: Re: Adjusting cam chain tensioner on my 400/4
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on February 09, 2025, 01:42:49 PM
Thanks Ted. I’m not sure I know Bryan’s method.

[Do it again but instead of putting the engine in a particular position try to turn the crank clockwise and hold it in a position where it is just about to turn so the front run of the cam chain is tight, sounds difficult but you can feel when its about to turn./i]

Release lock nut at the start, tighten when the above has done its trick, Bryan might enlarge on the process, some might not agree and stick to the workshop manual method.

Title: Re: Adjusting cam chain tensioner on my 400/4
Post by: Bryanj on February 09, 2025, 01:55:43 PM
Its on page 10 in tricks and tips, written a long time ago, i am too old to understand pasting links!
Title: Re: Adjusting cam chain tensioner on my 400/4
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on February 09, 2025, 02:01:26 PM
Here you go!

www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,1784.0.html
Title: Re: Adjusting cam chain tensioner on my 400/4
Post by: Bryanj on February 09, 2025, 03:49:23 PM
OK Ted, you is better at 'puters than me
Title: Re: Adjusting cam chain tensioner on my 400/4
Post by: Bradders on February 09, 2025, 06:17:11 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. Think I might try the workshop manual way,  how do you know if it’s worked and the cam chain has tensioned?
Title: Re: Adjusting cam chain tensioner on my 400/4
Post by: Bryanj on February 09, 2025, 07:01:40 PM
Noise
Title: Re: Adjusting cam chain tensioner on my 400/4
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on February 09, 2025, 08:10:42 PM
OK Ted, you is better at 'puters than me

Unlikely Bryan, I just have more spare time on my hands to go through the failure cycles