Honda-SOHC

Other Stuff => Misc / Open => Topic started by: Johnny4428 on February 15, 2025, 08:50:18 AM

Title: Alternative points cover.
Post by: Johnny4428 on February 15, 2025, 08:50:18 AM
Not for the purist. What does people think of this for a special build accessory?


Title: Re: Alternative points cover.
Post by: Laverdaroo on February 15, 2025, 09:36:01 AM
That's a bit trendy for Orkney Johnny, where on earth did you find that? IUwas toying with the idea of doing a similar conversion to one of the VFR's but chickened out. Quite trick that, rather like it. Are you going to have it sprayed chrome or something or a simple matt black? ;)
Title: Re: Alternative points cover.
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on February 15, 2025, 09:50:54 AM
It might look like the washing machine door when its on the center stand on idle.

Whatever floats your boat, personally I like the aftermarket finned alloy ones.
Title: Re: Alternative points cover.
Post by: DomP on February 15, 2025, 10:28:30 AM
My opinion only but I'm not a fan, it's not exactly pretty inside the points cover either
Title: Re: Alternative points cover.
Post by: Laverda Dave on February 15, 2025, 11:03:59 AM
I like it Johnny, reminds me of the bevel Dukes with the sight glass over the bevel cam  8). I like to see the moving parts of an engine and the spinninmg points cam opening and closing the points would be interesting. I'd go for it, no harm done and you can always change it back very quickly and without fuss.
Title: Re: Alternative points cover.
Post by: Oddjob on February 15, 2025, 01:04:34 PM
There's a member on the USA forum who makes those, Frankenstein or something like, he also does a chrome version IIRC. Bit flimsy for me, if the bike was ever dropped it would shatter and the points etc would most likely be damaged. I prefer to fit the CB650 cover if I'm not fitting standard, made of proper alloy and gives more protection than the standard chrome one. Can be hard to find one though.
Title: Re: Alternative points cover.
Post by: Johnny4428 on February 15, 2025, 01:41:19 PM
I just spotted it on a web page, it’s available as a finished item painted or the primed version you see in the pic. It is advertised for the 550 and 750. It’s probably as strong as the chrome tin lids Ken? I liked the idea of it. Not a fan of the finned versions Ted, enough fins going on as it is with the engine uppers. Each to their own though. Just browsing ideas for the next project.😜
Title: Re: Alternative points cover.
Post by: Oddjob on February 15, 2025, 02:05:33 PM
Was it this site Johnny?

https://www.fb-stuff.com/

If so I correct my reply, the pic you posted looks like it made of plastic or nylon not alloy, hence why I thought it wouldn't protect in the event of a spill or a drop.
Title: Re: Alternative points cover.
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on February 15, 2025, 03:57:58 PM
I just spotted it on a web page, it’s available as a finished item painted or the primed version you see in the pic. It is advertised for the 550 and 750. It’s probably as strong as the chrome tin lids Ken? I liked the idea of it. Not a fan of the finned versions Ted, enough fins going on as it is with the engine uppers. Each to their own though. Just browsing ideas for the next project.😜
#

I could not find a finned one at sensible money , I found a NOS 650 alloy cover instead.
Title: Re: Alternative points cover.
Post by: Johnny4428 on February 15, 2025, 11:46:21 PM
Was it this site Johnny?

https://www.fb-stuff.com/

If so I correct my reply, the pic you posted looks like it made of plastic or nylon not alloy, hence why I thought it wouldn't protect in the event of a spill or a drop.
Yes that’s it Ken! Don’t know how strong they would be!
Title: Re: Alternative points cover.
Post by: Johnny4428 on February 15, 2025, 11:50:38 PM
I just spotted it on a web page, it’s available as a finished item painted or the primed version you see in the pic. It is advertised for the 550 and 750. It’s probably as strong as the chrome tin lids Ken? I liked the idea of it. Not a fan of the finned versions Ted, enough fins going on as it is with the engine uppers. Each to their own though. Just browsing ideas for the next project.😜
#

I could not find a finned one at sensible money , I found a NOS 650 alloy cover instead.
Lucky to find a 650 one Ted!
Title: Re: Alternative points cover.
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on February 16, 2025, 05:44:57 AM
It wasn't cheap at £68.66 on e-bay from this ebay shop postage from France was included.
A bit of an indulgence really.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/vintagebikecompany


Title: Re: Alternative points cover.
Post by: Johnny4428 on February 16, 2025, 08:15:32 AM
Must say Ted they have some nice genuine parts but their prices on some of the smaller stuff is bonkers! 15 euros for an 18mm washer, 3 euros with CMS.😳😳
Title: Re: Alternative points cover.
Post by: andy120t on February 16, 2025, 09:39:23 AM
I have a Cb650 one in my 550 and it's very solid - it'll give a lot more protection than the tin 560 ones.There are a couple on eBay - one at D@K and one elsewhere.
Title: Re: Alternative points cover.
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on February 16, 2025, 03:32:35 PM
Must say Ted they have some nice genuine parts but their prices on some of the smaller stuff is bonkers! 15 euros for an 18mm washer, 3 euros with CMS.😳😳

I hadn't looked at their washers, they are crazy prices £20.54 for a washer??
I wonder if they have the decimal point in the wrong place or it's per 100 washers?

Makes my points cover look like a bargain, I wonder if they have the decimal point in the wrong place or it's per 100 washer?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_dkr=1&iconV2Request=true&_blrs=recall_filtering&_ssn=vintagebikecompany&store_cat=0&store_name=vintagebikecompany&_oac=1&_nkw=18%20mm%20washers
Title: Re: Alternative points cover.
Post by: Johnny4428 on February 16, 2025, 03:35:06 PM
Not sure Ted, I thought some of their prices weren’t too bad. But some things were a bit crazy. Errors can be made too.
Title: Re: Alternative points cover.
Post by: Oddjob on February 16, 2025, 03:36:37 PM
Be wary of buying the 650 points cover from DK, inspect closely, DON'T be tempted by the breakers in Aberdeen one, even I would struggle to recover that one but it is possible with some effort. Most of DKs covers are very scruffy, some have no lacquer or paint left on them, they would however polish up well if you are willing to do the work. I spotted one already highly polished when I was looking and bought it, it does have a scrape mark down it though so will require some remedial work to get it fit for use, almost everyone is salvageable, it just depends on how much time and effort you're willing to put into it to get it presentable again.

Even NOS ones have there problems, mine was NOS and came with lacquer blisters all over it, I had to strip it completely of both lacquer and paint, right back to bare alloy and then polish it, I've yet to paint the black part again but it did come up as shiny as the chrome dish the 500/550 uses.

As in.

(https://i.ibb.co/q3g1FyqM/IMG-2936.jpg)

(https://i.ibb.co/mrxNkHcH/IMG-2937.jpg)

I use these pics to try and show that these covers are painted not satin polished as others would have you believe. Polishing doesn't come off like this.

(https://i.ibb.co/87M8BKJ/IMG-2942.jpg) (https://ibb.co/kSKcyHp)

(https://i.ibb.co/dWtRM96/IMG-2940.jpg) (https://ibb.co/Qbk4QBn)

This would require a fair amount of work but it's cheap.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/355826897984?_skw=cb650+ignition+cover&itmmeta=01JM7MQ75MV4NTEAS47NP8RCGJ&hash=item52d8ef9440:g:PxIAAOSwjr1mfqGV&itmprp=enc%3AAQAKAAAA0FkggFvd1GGDu0w3yXCmi1ekPHOYf35Vtw9%2FIpzlG6jlRogxJiBuqE6mWbp5gvyTCdmlw4wxxyDgSLRolDnuJtU97WlUnOUCL6pBqJu5r2aQ5VCf%2FUsZIRdH8YZs1MMh2FCfVs5HnIHNbwAaQTgYH1Qf%2FE%2F9oVPYWonTYGpJWvvuc8OSUKmjCzbuO%2Fw6ClttsghELa3KpDPyEQMDoxcOG0wchpqKYm65tzjdIUFQheeHANlU%2FJguF7pyeHUk41%2FsXPjKRr5t1Lw6x8S4KzfUmco%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR4bz3PShZQ
Title: Re: Alternative points cover.
Post by: Johnny4428 on February 16, 2025, 06:49:18 PM
That probably looks worse than it is having said that there’s that much crud about it it’s maybe hiding some serious scuffs. That’s a nice one you’ve got there Ken.
Title: Re: Alternative points cover.
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on February 16, 2025, 10:18:05 PM
When I bought my NOS 650 cover the seller described it as NOS with some stripes!
When it arrived there were two strange stripes under the clear lacquer finish.

I just put it on my buffing wheel to remove the top coating, in around an hour of work it looked spot on, I had masked up the Honda Logo, a bit of touching in on the black background an all was good.
Title: Re: Alternative points cover.
Post by: Oddjob on February 19, 2025, 01:38:58 AM
The B650 ignition cover I bought from DK the other day arrived today, I thought it had been polished but in fact it's been chromed, really well chromed I may add. Good depth and no sign of flaking at all. It's a shame there is a mark on it, on the lower edge, so sort of hiding a little. It's by no means faultless but it's very usable. The black areas, as in the background behind the Honda logo and the Made In Japan writing, is not present, it's just all chromed. I might put the black part back in.

I'll see if my BIL wants to put it on my K reg 500 engine, if not I'm not sure what I'll do with it.