Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: Athame57 on March 12, 2025, 01:45:16 AM
-
Can someone help me find the part numbers for the screw and locknut arrowed in the image supplied? I went to the CMSL site to find it on their exploded plan of the carb assembly so I could pull up the part number to put in the DSS search box but I can't find them on that plan. :o I want to get these replaced because mine are just too rusty to rescue anymore.
-
That looks like a non original Honda set screw with a slotted head like that.
If you want something that looks original then probably a JIS headed set screw and flange nut the correct length would do nicely.
Plenty suppliers online but postage would cost more than the items.
Why not try your local Honda Power equipment dealer or motorcycle dealer first?
-
They are definitely the correct screws, Honda used slotted pan head screws in this location for easier(??) adjustment.
I don't know what the sizes are but I can say they are very fine pitch.
Are you sure they are beyond saving George? Personally I would take them off and take them to the plater not far from you, Ashford Chrome Plating who are actually located in Crayford, about a 15min walk from the train station. They can relate them for you. They should be yellow passivated. When you remove them make sure you measure the length of the thread protruding from the locking nut on each one and make sure you draw a diagram with a number of the carb where each adjuster fits as they operate the choke flaps and you need all the flaps to fully open when running. The best way to do it really is to take the carb bank off the engine so you can see what you are doing.
If Ashford platers are unable to save what you have I would be surprised.
-
Thanks for this Dave. The image btw is a screen grab of Ebay.
-
It looks like those screws and nuts are only supplied with a complete carb assembly.
On the CMSNL parts diagram linked below I think possibly the screw and nut you refer to are shown to the left of the carb slide, item 107?
https://images.cmsnl.com/img/partslists/honda-cb400f2-england-engine-group-1j-1k-2j-2k_bigma000081e01-4_3e89.gif (https://images.cmsnl.com/img/partslists/honda-cb400f2-england-engine-group-1j-1k-2j-2k_bigma000081e01-4_3e89.gif)
Anyhow, good luck.
-
Is a replacement SS bolt & nut not available then?
-
It looks like those screws and nuts are only supplied with a complete carb assembly.
This is what I think now. As a separate item I think what I want is an orphaned item. :( I guess I'll just have to apply a lot of elbow grease at some point. ::)
-
Is a replacement SS bolt & nut not available then?
It seems one can't get these items on their own full stop. :(
-
Could you not stick the bolt in a lathe and turn/face the head down slightly before replacing it? Same with the nut - file the faces down & replate? Or are they beyond that?
-
What's the size and length of the bolt?
If it's a fine thread as Dave suggests it's probably 0.50 pitch which is available in M4 or M5 or 0.75 if it's M6 size.
Easily found online and also available in stainless steel.
Hope you get sorted.
-
You are WAAAAY more dedicated than I am...I would just wire brush the screw/nut shoot it with some aluminum paint and call it done!!!
-
4mm x 13mm cheese hd on the 500s. Probably the same.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321490372837
-
4mm x 13mm cheese hd on the 500s. Probably the same.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321490372837
Those ebay ones are the standard 0.70 thread pitch tho, which are very easily obtained.
It may be the fine pitch ones that are 0.50 required?
-
Those ebay ones are the standard 0.70 thread pitch tho, which are very easily obtained.
It may be the fine pitch ones that are 0.50 required?
Does it actually matter very much? :-\
-
Those ebay ones are the standard 0.70 thread pitch tho, which are very easily obtained.
It may be the fine pitch ones that are 0.50 required?
Does it actually matter very much? :-\
It won't screw into the bracket if it's the wrong thread.
Better to remove the bolt and measure it with a thread gauge first and establish which thread it actually is.
Good luck
-
It won't screw into the bracket if it's the wrong thread.
Better to remove the bolt and measure it with a thread gauge first and establish which thread it actually is.
Good luck
I see. Thanks for this, 8)
-
Part number 16163-551-004, replaced mine with stainless 40 years ago, don't forget the nut as well
They are the standard 0.7mm pitch. Think I went with 4 x 16mm cheesehead screws from https://www.stainlessmiddleton.co.uk/34296-cheese-slotted-machine-screws
-
Part number 16163-551-004, replaced mine with stainless 40 years ago, don't forget the nut as well
They are the standard 0.7mm pitch. Think I went with 4 x 16mm cheesehead screws from https://www.stainlessmiddleton.co.uk/34296-cheese-slotted-machine-screws
Thanks, ordered from DSS!
-
I've tracked these down on Ebay. Pleeeeease tell me I've got this one right! ;D
-
I've tracked these down on Ebay. Pleeeeease tell me I've got this one right! ;D
According to Ken's post above you need 0.7 thread pitch.
The ebay one is 0.5 thread pitch so won't fit.
-
According to Ken's post above you need 0.7 thread pitch.
The ebay one is 0.5 thread pitch so won't fit.
Talk about a senior moment, maybe I should'nt start before lunch. ::) Cancelled that order. Finally found what I wanted on Amazon which I don't like using.
-
Should have just gone the Middleton route, he sells the nuts as well and his stuff is really good quality. There was a pic of my carbs just after I removed them after 40 odd years of rats pissing on them, the steel parts looked awful, the linkage rod was the worst anyone had ever seen, all the stainless stuff from Middletons fitted 40 years ago looked pristine and I refitted them after just a quick disinfecting and cleaning. Same for all my engine bolts, not a single one needed to be replaced.
-
Should have just gone the Middleton route, he sells the nuts as well and his stuff is really good quality. There was a pic of my carbs just after I removed them after 40 odd years of rats pissing on them, the steel parts looked awful, the linkage rod was the worst anyone had ever seen, all the stainless stuff from Middletons fitted 40 years ago looked pristine and I refitted them after just a quick disinfecting and cleaning. Same for all my engine bolts, not a single one needed to be replaced.
Aye,
top marks to Middleton's, I used to save up each month to buy fasteners for my Commando from Dave back in the seventies.
They still look OK today.
-
Should have just gone the Middleton route, he sells the nuts as well and his stuff is really good quality.
I surfed the Middleton site but couldn't manage to find the size I need. :(
-
Should have just gone the Middleton route, he sells the nuts as well and his stuff is really good quality.
I surfed the Middleton site but couldn't manage to find the size I need. :(
There you go, cheese head M4x16 screw 19p and M4 nut to match 10p.
(link from Kens earlier post above)
https://www.stainlessmiddleton.co.uk/34296-cheese-slotted-machine-screws (https://www.stainlessmiddleton.co.uk/34296-cheese-slotted-machine-screws)
Hope this is of help
-
With Middletons you must remember that most threads on a Honda are what's called metric fine, M8 use 1.25, M6 use 1.00, M5 use 0.8, M10 is were the problems start, most M10 bolts these days are 1.5 pitch but Honda uses 1.25 pitch bolts, like the lower pinch bolts in the bottom yoke. Same for the lower engine bolts and quite a few others. Don't forget to match the nuts with the bolts if buying metric fine as Middeltons call them. M6 and M8 are easy to find, just be sure to check the pitch as there are some M6 bolts using 0.9 for some reason.