Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: Martin6 on March 20, 2025, 09:37:34 AM

Title: Neutral Light Staying Lit
Post by: Martin6 on March 20, 2025, 09:37:34 AM
Hi all. The last couple of rides my neutral light was slow to go off. Yesterday it didn't fully go off, was dim throughout the outward ride and fully lit all the way home.

Is this common? Do I just need to remove and clean it?

Thanks. Martin
Title: Re: Neutral Light Staying Lit
Post by: Spitfire on March 20, 2025, 10:00:58 AM
Mine stayed on all the time, I changed the unit but it still stayed on, checked the cable still stayed on so I gave up and put some black tape on the light.
The tape stayed on the light for years until I took the engine out of the frame when refurbishing the bike this revealed a frayed wire right up against the engine, it looked perfect from the outside.
I replaced the wire and have had no problem since, could be you have a similar problem.

Cheers

Dennis
Title: Re: Neutral Light Staying Lit
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on March 20, 2025, 10:06:55 AM
On my 500 it was a trapped wire between engine and outer casing. It started with a low glimmer to eventually on all the time.
Title: Re: Neutral Light Staying Lit
Post by: Martin6 on March 20, 2025, 04:17:10 PM
Thanks guys. Hopefully time to check it out at the weekend.
Title: Re: Neutral Light Staying Lit
Post by: martin_uk on March 27, 2025, 04:55:33 PM
The neutral light is powered from switched live and switch grounds other wire (same as oil pressure)

First check is disconnect neutral wire and if light stays on you know it is a short to ground
Title: Re: Neutral Light Staying Lit
Post by: Pauarc on March 29, 2025, 12:05:18 PM
Hi Martin
I have a neutral switch spare it not new but working if you need one I am only in Great Totham if you need one it’s free if you want to collect
Paul
Title: Re: Neutral Light Staying Lit
Post by: Martin6 on March 29, 2025, 06:05:48 PM
Paul,

That's very kind.

Because of a similar problem, I only replaced mine last year, when I had the engine out. I have a weakness for keeping bits I take off, unless clearly destroyed. So, I thought I'd look at the old one to see if I could clean it up. There, in its unopened packet, is the new one I'd bought, doh! So, I'll swap it over!

Let me know if you ever fancy meeting up for a coffee. 👍
Martin

Title: Re: Neutral Light Staying Lit
Post by: Pauarc on March 30, 2025, 09:44:40 AM
I will do I got a bad shoulder, so I’m not riding the bike at the moment. Get back to you when it’s okay.
Title: Re: Neutral Light Staying Lit
Post by: Martin6 on March 30, 2025, 10:42:51 AM
I will do I got a bad shoulder, so I’m not riding the bike at the moment. Get back to you when it’s okay.

👍 Speedy recovery. Be interesting to compare notes  (not sick notes!) :)
Title: Re: Neutral Light Staying Lit
Post by: Martin6 on April 02, 2025, 10:57:49 PM
Replacement neutral switch has fixed it.

Unexpectedly, it's now much more positive from neutral to 1st gear and easier to select neutral when stationary.