Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: Johnwebley on March 27, 2025, 05:30:02 PM

Title: charging issues
Post by: Johnwebley on March 27, 2025, 05:30:02 PM
hi all

  as the title suggests,the CB500 has charging issues,

at about  4,000rpm it produces a low charge,if I put the lights on,there is no increase,

I have checked the 3 yellow wires,all link to each other,

some time ago I fitted  a RR24 combined regulator/rectifier,

 could that have gone??

any ideas of what to test for?

thanks
Title: Re: charging issues
Post by: Bryanj on March 27, 2025, 05:32:54 PM
Yes to first question but not necessarily.
There is a full charging system diagnostic system test in the Honda manual
Title: Re: charging issues
Post by: Johnwebley on March 27, 2025, 06:57:45 PM
OK

  I will check it out,

   
Title: Re: charging issues
Post by: Johnwebley on March 28, 2025, 12:10:11 PM
the rectifier/regulator  is an RR24,fitted about 10years ago,

  after playing with a multi meter ,the stator and rotor have continuity,

 on to Electex world web site,found a helpful page,on it is how to test the reg,

  my figures are not as specified,

ordered another ,my haven't prices  gone up!!!!

Title: Re: charging issues
Post by: Bryanj on March 28, 2025, 02:33:42 PM
Make sure all your earth connections are clean and tight plus all the multiblock connectors or you may fry your new part
Title: Re: charging issues
Post by: Johnwebley on March 30, 2025, 09:49:43 AM
Ok,all terminals cleaned

I used a spray called Bulldog BDX,
a sort of deluxe version of WD40,and yes they did say it is suitable for electrical connections

Also an instruction on how to test the RR24 unit,


(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20250330/2204a2c42f18c27b6a1f4c2b519e2301.jpg)

Sent from my SM-A546E using Tapatalk