Honda-SOHC

General => Announcements => Topic started by: SteveD CB500K0 on April 14, 2025, 08:41:12 AM

Title: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on April 14, 2025, 08:41:12 AM
Hi Everyone.

I have recently migrated the site to a new "green" server. I think it uses solar power :)
However, it should be faster than the old one as it is set up to host legacy applications like this.

The migration wasn't bug-free (as you probably noticed) and I'm still getting error messages.

Apologies to the four new members who had to wait for approval. You should be in now.

Also to Mo who has been having access problems. (Is it OK now?)

Steve
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on April 14, 2025, 08:42:47 AM
TapaTalk still not working (not for me anyway).
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: Athame57 on April 14, 2025, 09:11:17 AM
Thanks for the update Steve, I hope this doesn't cause you anymore trouble. What made you go green?  ;D
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: taysidedragon on April 14, 2025, 10:17:27 AM
Will our missing avatars return, or do we have to manually upload them again?
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: K2-K6 on April 14, 2025, 10:29:39 AM
Thank you for the work behind the scenes Steve.

I can see the avatars in this thread  :)
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: Athame57 on April 14, 2025, 10:32:50 AM
Thank you for the work behind the scenes Steve.

I can see the avatars in this thread  :)
Have you been eating lots of carrots or something? I can't see mine.  >:(
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: Athame57 on April 14, 2025, 10:36:51 AM
Ah! I just reloaded my avatar and there it is, well I can see it anyway.  ;D
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: ST1100 on April 14, 2025, 10:47:01 AM
I think it uses solar power :)
... explains the random, infrequent outages  ;)

Thanx for the efforts!  8)
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on April 14, 2025, 12:46:35 PM
Nearly there.

The issue (for those that are interested) is that the SMF application uses some hard-coded links (for example, access to the theme and some of the folders where images and avatars are stored). These don't get automatically updated as they would if I was migrating a Wordpress site.
And frankly, it's so long since I've moved this site, I'd forgotten how to do it :(

Steve
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: Johnny4428 on April 14, 2025, 02:26:07 PM
Forever grateful for the hard work to keep the site going. I would imagine there is constant work in maintaining and fixing to ensure the smooth running for us “menions”
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: Murf on April 14, 2025, 10:37:59 PM
Thanks for all your efforts to keep it all working, I imagine it is quite a stressful thing to do,
it certainly would be for me, especially as nothing would ever work again😁.
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on April 15, 2025, 06:45:51 AM
Tapatalk is back.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: neat street on April 15, 2025, 08:20:21 AM
Thank you Steve for all your work on this site, sometimes people complain when things go wrong, but forget all the times when they are right. thank you.
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: DomP on April 19, 2025, 08:24:42 PM
Are there still ongoing problems?  I've noticed when searching the results come with a lot of the letters replaced with symbols making reading them near impossible.
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: Johnwebley on April 20, 2025, 05:29:32 PM
my Tapatalk  tells me the post has already been deleted

I click the browser link,and there it is,

but I don't think I can post

best wishes for your hard work,,
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on April 22, 2025, 12:01:22 PM
Can everybody who reads check in with a quick reply please as I’m getting email from people who still can’t reach the site.

Thanks

Steve


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: florence on April 22, 2025, 12:09:00 PM
working for me
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: Rozabikes Tim on April 22, 2025, 12:21:22 PM
And me
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: ST1100 on April 22, 2025, 12:38:37 PM
Works from Austria...
(was able to upload new avatar)
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: 3scs on April 22, 2025, 01:07:54 PM
And me
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on April 22, 2025, 02:10:07 PM
I think it’s the https redirect. Some browsers put it in automatically and some don’t.

Our new site is https://www.sohc.co.uk

We don’t really need the https bit as we are not selling anything, but it is included with the hosting and saves your browser giving you those irritating “This site is not secure” messages.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: Craizeehair on April 22, 2025, 03:06:09 PM
Works for me
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: royhall on April 22, 2025, 03:26:39 PM
Steve. Just to add further pains. Tapatalk won't work when I connect through a VPN. Works perfectly on open internet.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: SteveW on April 22, 2025, 04:21:38 PM
This is the first time I’ve managed to connect for about a week.
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: Seabeowner on April 22, 2025, 06:43:28 PM
Working here!
No avatar in Chrome, but it is was there in firefox until I signed in.
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: DomP on April 22, 2025, 08:24:33 PM
Seems to be working for me
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: magpie114 on April 22, 2025, 11:05:44 PM
Ok here


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on April 23, 2025, 06:26:43 AM
It looks like there are still a few who can’t connect. I have provided error messages and screenshots from Julie to the techies.

Once we have standard access, I will take a look at VPNs and Tapatalk Roy.
I have never used one myself but there’s a large user community that will no-doubt have seen this before.

Steve


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: taysidedragon on April 23, 2025, 06:07:59 PM
This is the first time that I've been able to open the forum for days. 😩

I've just disconnected from my WiFi and using 5g mobile.
My Internet is EE and won't connect my laptop, tablet or mobile. I cleared caches, browsing history and tried Firefox, Chrome and Edge browsers. No joy on any of these.
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: SteveW on April 23, 2025, 09:31:56 PM
I can’t connect using Chrome or Firefox, either on my pc or IPad.
Microsoft Edge is the only browser I can seem to connect with.
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: SumpMagnet on April 23, 2025, 10:12:51 PM
not had any connection issues
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: Spitfire on April 24, 2025, 09:25:16 AM
Managed to open the site today, got back from holiday on Monday and it's been gone all this week that I know of.

Cheers

Dennis
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: Laverda Dave on April 25, 2025, 10:23:30 PM
I went to log in today and got a message to say the site wasn't secure so I didn't continue to the forum.
When I went to log in this evening all my details had been wiped and no matter what I tried I couldn't log back in or retrieve my log in details using the 'answer a saved question' method.
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on April 26, 2025, 11:08:12 AM
It seems to be ISP related.

I can access it from home on CityFibre but here at my mother-in-laws it doesn’t work at all (BT Internet). I have to switch of wifi and use mobile data (EE) to get in.
 


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: magpie114 on April 26, 2025, 11:43:51 AM
I’ve been wondering about that. Could changing from the routers default DNS settings be the answer?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: K2-K6 on April 26, 2025, 12:00:15 PM
My connection is BT I plus android tablet via WiFi always.

No mobile used either.

Initially and early on saw no access, but since has been OK, still with original login, no re entry of password either.  Seems reasonably OK now, can't see some ikon on logged in list, left of home page.

Hopefully of some use  :)
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: Nurse Julie on April 26, 2025, 12:08:55 PM
At last, I've managed to get to the site.
It may be temporary as I'm not at home using my EE mobile but logged into a BT guest link at a café.
I'll try via EE when I get back home.
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: Nurse Julie on April 27, 2025, 08:52:29 AM
I can now get on the forum from home using the PC but still getting blocked when trying from my mobile and cant get on using tapatalk either ??? ??? ???.
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: Laverda Dave on April 27, 2025, 10:36:33 AM
I had to reset my password on my mobile Julie when it locked me out on Friday. When I tried to access the site on my Laptop yesterday I had to do the same again (using the new password I had set up on Friday via my mobile). All working now👍
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: SteveW on April 30, 2025, 06:13:41 AM
Today is the first time I’ve managed to connect in a week.
Firefox and Chrome don’t work at all, Edge sometimes works.
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: Nurse Julie on April 30, 2025, 08:55:44 AM
Quite a few comments on various FB groups re not being able to get to the site. 404 and site insecure (problem with security certificate) are being mentioned.
I still can't get on the site via my phone.
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on April 30, 2025, 09:07:25 AM
Escalated to "Advanced Tech Support" after the techie I spoke to admitted he didn't understand why some users could connect and some couldn't.
"They have access to server stuff that I don't"

We shall see.
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on April 30, 2025, 09:10:25 AM
Also looking for a fix on the missing avatars and attached images.
This could be more problematic as they appear to have been corrupted during the migration. Not sure if the hosting company has the old folders in archive.
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: Craizeehair on April 30, 2025, 09:12:43 AM
This is the first time I’ve been able to access for quite a few days. Fingers  crossed
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: Spitfire on May 01, 2025, 06:40:17 PM
Great to be back, thanks Steve

Cheers

Dennis
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: Laverda Dave on May 02, 2025, 02:50:36 PM
Just tried to go into Aladdin's Cave and it is showing 'Account Suspended'. Is anyone else having the same problem?
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: magpie114 on May 02, 2025, 02:55:00 PM
Yes, same problem here
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on May 02, 2025, 03:06:58 PM
They haven't fixed the screw-up with the sub-domain (info.sohc.co.uk) yet so it doesn't exist on the new server.

Yet.
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: Toko_Jo on May 02, 2025, 04:37:45 PM
Just tried to go into Aladdin's Cave and it is showing 'Account Suspended'. Is anyone else having the same problem?

Just use Ash's Dropbox Links Dave ...everything in  there anyway and it still works perfectly !  So all is not lost.
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: Laverda Dave on May 03, 2025, 10:53:18 AM
Thanks Toko  :)
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: Craizeehair on May 04, 2025, 07:45:03 AM
I’m still having trouble accessing the site, this is the first time again in days, hopefully this is it now
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: Johnwebley on May 04, 2025, 05:35:41 PM


I can connect on computer,

  but can't  get on using Tapatalk,on my Samsung, andriod 14,






Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: SteveW on May 05, 2025, 10:11:21 AM
I still can’t connect using chrome or Firefox on any device.

Only way it seems to work if I use Edge to connect via a VPN to my works servers in Germany then open a new tab then I can get on.
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: Craizeehair on May 05, 2025, 11:21:30 AM
Seems very hit and miss, was unable to connect again yesterday and this morning but I just managed to connect again?
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: royhall on May 06, 2025, 02:02:00 PM
Managed to connect okay today using Edge but all the pictures are missing.
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: Nurse Julie on May 06, 2025, 02:04:47 PM
Possible progress. I can get on the forum on my phone now using www.sohc.co.uk
But, I can't get on using just sohc.co.uk
I couldn't get to the forum earlier today even using my PC, which I had been able to previously for the past 10 days or so.
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: royhall on May 06, 2025, 02:29:31 PM
Does the old company still have a site backup? Maybe we should go back to non green that worked perfectly..Just a thought and thanks for your efforts Steve.
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: Bloggs on May 06, 2025, 02:30:55 PM
Thanks for the work on the site Steve,

I was locked out for a couple of weeks but can now access on PC and Phone.

Michael
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: Athame57 on May 06, 2025, 06:25:13 PM
Thanks for getting the site back in from the dark Steve.  :) It feels a bit like a reunion!  ;D
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on May 06, 2025, 06:52:56 PM
It does, doesn’t it.

Aladdin’s Cave is back. That’s my fault as I forgot to tell them there was a subdomain.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: Seabeowner on May 06, 2025, 07:06:04 PM
Must be very frustrating, so so thanks Steve for keeping at it and getting it sorted.
I live in fear that my genealogy research on Family Tree Maker 2005 will fail. Still works on my laptop with W10. Think I need to get it elsewhere!
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: XS850 on May 06, 2025, 08:33:15 PM
Ah, great - you’re back! Been missing my daily “fix” for over 3 weeks, thank you Steve for the hard work - it is most appreciated! Also thanks to N Julie who has kept me appraised of the issue and letting me know the site was back up today!
Bruce
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: Johnny4428 on May 06, 2025, 10:25:27 PM
Weh heh! We are back! Well at least first time for quite a few days been able to access site. Bit of catching up to do now.
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: Johnwebley on May 08, 2025, 10:52:10 AM


  great its up on 'puters,

  but howabout Tapatalk?

 or is it just me that can't get on?
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: Craizeehair on May 08, 2025, 07:58:01 PM


  great its up on 'puters,

  but howabout Tapatalk?

 or is it just me that can't get on?
I only use tapatalk and it now seems to be back up and running as normal.
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: royhall on May 08, 2025, 08:22:12 PM
We're getting there, cheers Steve. Unfortunately still a ton of pictures missing. Small steps, we will get there.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: mickwinf on May 12, 2025, 01:45:23 PM
I'm having a strange thing happening when accessing site from my phone. I can't read unless I expand the screen but only when on sohc site it will not expand using fingers. All other sites it works fine?! What the heck?
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: Laverda Dave on May 12, 2025, 08:17:35 PM
I've just downloaded Tapatalk to make life easier but I can't get onto the site using it, just keeps saying the password is incorrect.
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: Johnny4428 on May 12, 2025, 10:17:21 PM
After reading this thought I would check site through Tapatalk which I now use for posting pics. Seems to working ok with me.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Recent Site Glitches
Post by: Gromitdog on July 16, 2025, 06:59:18 AM
Hi Steve
Thank you for all your time and effort to change the site over to a super fast green server, However I am still as slow as ever on computers 😂 But have managed to be able to upload some pictures over the pass few weeks. Thank you for kindly running the forum for us all over the years.