Honda-SOHC
General => Announcements => Topic started by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on April 20, 2025, 06:31:46 PM
-
Last Saturday 12th April 2025 my wife Wendy conducted two local weddings at Melbourne View and Amalfi White wedding venues, at one she performed the actual the ceremony, the other she was carring out the paperwork. Wendy has worked for the last 20 months or so as a part time Wedding Registrar for Derbyshire County Council. Wendy works out of the Ashbourne Office doing the odd wedding at the Registry Office. Most of her work is at grander venues such as Tissington Hall etc. She came home on the Saturday afternoon chuffed to bits but quite tired.
On Sunday morning 13th April 2025 I found Wendy unconscious on our bedroom floor in distressing surroundings. I realised within a minute that she had suffered a serious stroke in the night possibly as she was getting out of bed as she felt sick. Ambulance Service attended within 5 minutes, on the stroke ward in around 30 minutes. Brilliant service from the NHS. Too late for the Clot Buster Drugs option.
Its a left side (of her brain) Ischemic stroke, presently unable to speak no right side body movement, currently tube fed but now classed as stable. As some members will know from experience the route to Stroke recovery is a different journey for all victims with a variety of outcomes. My late father had a stroke when he was in his early 50's so I have some experience of what to expect.
Her condition has been up and down these last 7 days, this morning she was a tad brighter. I know some members here have lost their partners or are dealing with serious personal health issues. As a fairly open person I felt today was the right time to share, yesterday was too soon, tommorow might be too late. I'm hoping for the best possible long term outcome, planning for the worst.
I am a sohc member known as Ted, known to some members in person, to others only through this brilliant site.
Life eh, sometimes it can come up with the unexpected.
-
Fingers crossed for you and your wife.
Stroke recovery can be a long and tortuous road, and I hope things get better.
-
Aaah Ted, my sincere thoughts and best wishes for you and Wendy in such a serious situation.
As you've said, difficult to know an exact prognosis at this point with things like this.
Again, best wishes and thoughts in support of you looking after Wendy.
Nigel.
-
Jeepers Ted. You are so open and honest on the forum. Never met you or Wendy but really feel for you guys probably even more because of the way you are.
Take care mate and hope all comes good for you both.
Tim
-
Ted, you know where i am along with email and phone, wont be on phone till 27th but if you need to chat just call.
Best wishes for you and i hope Wendy recovers well
-
So sorry to hear this Ted, as others have said, I've never met you but have frequently chatted on here with you so know what a genuinely lovely bloke you are. Wishing you both the best possible outcome.
-
best wishes for you both,
have a support on here,
-
Really sorry to hear this news Ted. Wishing you both well and hope that your wife makes a steady recovery. James
-
Sorry to hear this best wishes to you both
Si
-
Sorry to hear the news Ted. I hope Wendy makes a good recovery.
-
Very sorry to read this Ted. Hope that Wendy can make a steady recovery. Health is so often ignored until you don't have it. My best wishes.
Phil
-
Sorry to hear the news Ted. My sister-in-law (also called Wendy) had quite a serious stroke about 12 years ago. My brother found extra private physiotherapy for her and it was money well spent as, glad to say, you would hardly notice now. Truly remarkable really. Just hoping your Wendy can make a similar journey to a good recovery. Best wishes at this difficult time for you both ... Ash.
-
Crickey Ted that's terrible news. My mother had a stroke when I was 11 and it changed everyone's life for ever. Really hope she comes out the other side in a good position. My mum's was due to Antiphosphalipid Syndrome that they didn't know about back then. I have inherited it from her but thankfully mine manifested as DVT's rather than stroke. Best wishes to you both.
Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
-
All the best to you and Wendy.
Fingers crossed for a good outcome for you both.
-
I've just seen this Ted. Best wishes for a good recovery.
-
Scary stuff Ted, it sounds like you did all the right things at the right time in a very frightening situation.
Hopefully all will go well for you and Wendy, I'll be rooting for you.
Dennis
-
Sorry to hear that news Ted.
-
Thank you everyone for the messages of support.
On Thursday evening Wendy was transferred to a different hospital in Derby that has a dedicated Stroke Rehabilitation Unit.
The Consultant has told us that it's a Major Stroke, no fixed time frame for her stay, patients typically are in the unit for 2-3 months.
There has been one area of improvement, some speech is now decipherable. Wendy is a strong character, if anyone can make a good recovery she has the willpower and motivation. I will not update this thread until Wendy is back home unless there is a major set back.
-
Going in a possive direction Ted. Slowly slowly catchy monkey. That strength of character Wendy has will definitely be a help.
-
She's certainly in the right place for the correct treatment Ted.
My wife works for the NHS and despite all its problems it remains a fantastic institution, when you need it urgently as it's original intention it works brilliantly.
-
Ted,
Best Wishes to you both.
Michael
-
sorry about wendy ted hopes she keeps getting sronger
-
Best wishes to you both. We're all rooting for you. 👍
-
Hey, Ted.
I’m very sorry to hear about Wendy. All the very best with Wendy’s recovery and remember to look after yourself too.
Phil.
-
I hope Wendy is continuing to improve Ted, this will be a difficult time for you, my thoughts go out to you both.
-
Best wishes Ted, to you and Wendy.
-
On Friday the 15th August Wendy was discharged to our home at about 6.00pm.
The NHS have provided a free six week care package, after that Wendy has to pay. The package consists of two carers four times a day, then three further carers at 1.00am, 4.00am and 6.ooam to change her incontinence pad.
I suffered a cardiac event on the 13th July at home with a night in
hospital. This impacted heavily on my mobility for about a month. Some improvement at last after issues with a blood thinner called Edoxaban
On Saturday the 16th August Wendy managed to get out of bed and end up on the floor. I had a Care Link Emergency Pendant installed to help with this type of situation. Within 20 minutes a bloke turned up with a Transformer type gadget that lifted Wendy off the floor into a sort of sitting position. With the use of ax Re-turn she was safely back on bed in The Re-turn is used to move Wendy from bed to wheelchair or our Sofa.
It's s going to be a long journey of recovery for Wendy with an unknown end game. Physiotherapists have said some right leg use could return over the next 12 months.
Wendy's speech is impaired by Aphasia , this continues to improve. Stroke has affected Wendy's right eye, most facial muscles seem to have returned to normal. Looks like right arm is unlikely to regain any use. Wendy is a strong character so I'm optimistic about the future. Right leg has some sensation but not load bearing.
-
I'm glad there is ongoing improvement with Wendy Ted. For goodness look after yourself as well though, cardiac issues are a serious business.
Best wishes for you both, keep us posted!
-
You need to look after yourself in order to look after Wendy mate, keep up the good work we are all pulling for both of you mate
-
Sorry to read this Ted hopefully the recovery is full and speedy
-
Thanks for sharing that update with us Ted. I wish you and Wendy well and hope there is a steady continuing improvement. As Bryan says you got to think of your own health and well being as well.
-
Best wishes to you both, the leg will get stronger with the physio, the mussles have got week over time, both keep well and as already said, look after you, so you can look after Wendy.
-
My best wishes to you and Wendy. Keep taking the tablets! 👍
-
Rayzer Emergency Lifting Chair was the lifting gadget.
-
Thanks for the update Ted. Hopefully Wendy gets stronger day by day and the end result will be a good one. As Bryan says you also to look after yourself 👍
-
Rayzer Emergency Lifting Chair was the lifting gadget.
Cracking bit of kit. Saw it on action with my dad and the falls team i- mpressive.
Glad to hear another small step in Wendy's recovery Ted.
-
Ted, I hope that the care package works out for you both - I had to arrange something similar for my mother earlier this year following a stroke and fall, although we had no free period from the NHS to tide us over, it was just pay from day one.
I would recommend that you carefully read the terms and conditions of any of organisation that you employ directly, for instance the first one that I arranged to care for mother charged one week at full rate and the second week at 50% of full rate for any cancellation of service through such events as hospital stays etc; whereas the second organisation charged only one day at full rate to suspend their services. With costs of around £1000 per week, the unused visits really add up!
The greatest problem that I had, however, was finding an organisation that would actually provide the package of four visits per day, few were interested in that level of commitment. In the end, the hospital discharge team put me in touch with a company in Crawley who, without charge, trawled through all of the available providers covering this area (central Norfolk) and then left it to me to choose between them (there were only three).
Unfortunately, it didn't work out for mother because she kept falling, and she is now in a local care home. Interestingly enough, the cost of that in one of their largest rooms (it is REALLY large) is less than the cost of four home visits per day from care providers. Aditionally, ANY overnight stay would have cost an additional £350.00 per seven - hour shift for home care.
Anyway, I do hope that it all works out for you both and although perhaps not too well yourself, you can find a way through it all.
-
Best wishes for you both,
Sent from my SM-A546E using Tapatalk
-
Ted,
Although I'm a newbie here, I just wanted to let you know you'll both be in my thoughts. I've no doubt the fellowship, support, and friendship that is so clearly evident in this community will be a comfort to you and will bring you strength.
Approximately 18 months ago my wife was diagnosed with terminal blood cancer, so I know a little about how difficult these times of illness can be.
My kindest regards to you both,
T