Honda-SOHC
Other Stuff => Tricks & Tips => Topic started by: Rozabikes Tim on April 29, 2025, 08:06:51 PM
-
Just looking at this channel for more modern bikes but found this. About 400/4 but really good tutorial on how old school ignition works. I thought so anyway!
https://youtu.be/gCeDZMX4E9k?si=GYI-Z7zBPwnbM0ac
-
OK except for using the big nut to rotate the crank
-
You can put the bike in gear, with the plugs out, easy enough to rotate the engine using the wheel.
As Bryan has said best to avoid using the end nut.
-
OK except for using the big nut to rotate the crank
Really just the explanation of how it all works that I felt was of interest. However why did they put a bloody great tempting nut in there if you are not suposed to use it!!??
-
IIRC Honda actually tell you to use the nut in the WM, I don't have a problem with using it myself so long as the plugs are out. Which means the bikes getting a service anyway and you're checking the ignition as well.
-
IIRC Honda actually tell you to use the nut in the WM, I don't have a problem with using it myself so long as the plugs are out. Which means the bikes getting a service anyway and you're checking the ignition as well.
Have also used that nut to help gap the points, before fine tuning with a dwell meter and timing with a strobe light.
That's the way we were taught in the trade.