Honda-SOHC

Other Stuff => Misc / Open => Topic started by: Athame57 on May 13, 2025, 11:36:27 PM

Title: What happens when E5 petrol is withdrawn?
Post by: Athame57 on May 13, 2025, 11:36:27 PM
Depending on legislation and/or demand, E5 may be gone in the not so far future. I've heard about additives but what of them, do they do enough?
Title: Re: What happens when E5 petrol is withdrawn?
Post by: Martin6 on May 18, 2025, 09:42:39 AM
Until a couple of years ago, it was E10 at my local petrol stations, or nothing. My old bikes and 1950s car performed fine, once I'd made sure fuel pipes were able to live with ethanol. On my bikes I worked out where to turn off the petcock, so I ran out of fuel in my drive. Just because it felt sensible to store them with as little fuel in the bowls as possible.

My personal view, having looked into it a few years ago, additives main effect is to lighten your wallet. Some swear they protect even their daughter's virginity, others that they're laced with micro-chips sending your riding habits to Beijing (they're welcome  :) ). I've found I haven't needed them.

One caveat, my older bikes do get fairly regular use, probably at least once a fortnight, throughout the year. If I was going to lay one up for a few months over winter, I'd empty the tank and carbs. If I couldn't store the tank in the warm, I'd maybe coat the tank with some 2T oil, to reduce the effect of condensation.
Title: Re: What happens when E5 petrol is withdrawn?
Post by: Skoti on May 18, 2025, 07:59:09 PM
Good post Martin,

Witty, but also makes sense to me.

But of course the water that separates from E10 will normally settle in the bottom of your fuel tank so adding 2t oil won't stop that.


Over winter I also drain the tank and carbs completely then leave the fuel cap open or loose to allow it to vent and prevent condensation lingering.


Title: Re: What happens when E5 petrol is withdrawn?
Post by: Athame57 on May 19, 2025, 02:57:02 AM
Well, these posts are reassuring at least, so there is no need to panic.  :)