Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: Grewth on May 17, 2025, 05:07:56 PM

Title: F2 Engine coating removal ?
Post by: Grewth on May 17, 2025, 05:07:56 PM
Today, I have acquired a CB750F2, 1978 vintage.
It was cheap.
For a good reason,  it's a total wreck.
47 years of British weather have not been kind to the black coating that Honda applied to the engine unit, it's festering and lifting off in places, and TBH, I think natural alloy looks much better anyway.
From my experience with Yamaha's,  it's an absolute pig to get off.
I'd be interested to know if anyone has successfully stripped an F2 engine back to bare alloy with a presentable finish  ?
Title: Re: F2 Engine coating removal ?
Post by: Grewth on May 17, 2025, 05:09:32 PM
Forgot the photo
Title: Re: F2 Engine coating removal ?
Post by: Bryanj on May 17, 2025, 05:46:48 PM
oooh PD carbs with pods have fun with those.

as to the black coating how about nitro-glycerine?
Title: Re: F2 Engine coating removal ?
Post by: royhall on May 17, 2025, 07:21:08 PM
When I did mine it had to be bead blasted as nothing else would shift it. But mine was being repainted so the bare metal finish was not an issue. That finish is as tough as old boots to shift, even the bead blaster guy was complaining about how long it took. If your building a special, convert your carbs to K model units as those PD's are a royal pain to get right.
Title: Re: F2 Engine coating removal ?
Post by: Laverdaroo on May 17, 2025, 08:43:43 PM
This was the result of vapour blasting and then clear corrector over the top. I think it looks ace but each to their own.(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20250517/f460c16a6ecd28a56098b38f222ad2b3.jpg)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: F2 Engine coating removal ?
Post by: Laverdaroo on May 17, 2025, 08:53:40 PM
To that(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20250517/acbd8a7e14ef9d1177e765acc1429392.jpg)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: F2 Engine coating removal ?
Post by: Grewth on May 17, 2025, 10:30:43 PM
Thanks for the replies.
I was sort of hoping someone had found a miracle solution to stripping the stuff.
Oh well, it looks like my wallet will be taking another hit.
I'm not keen on those late type carbs either,  I'll hopefully be moving them on at some point.
I've found the early ones a cinch to work on.
Title: Re: F2 Engine coating removal ?
Post by: Johnny4428 on May 18, 2025, 07:34:06 AM
That’s a lovely transformation on that engine Roo! Interested to see how you get on with yours Grewth.
Title: Re: F2 Engine coating removal ?
Post by: Grewth on May 18, 2025, 05:17:06 PM
I'm honestly thinking that I might just have the F2 head bead blasted back to bare alloy.
Worth in to keep those big valves
With the barrels and the crankcases, it's probably going to be cheaper to swap in F1 or K model items, especially if I'm going to re-shell the crank anyway.
Title: Re: F2 Engine coating removal ?
Post by: SumpMagnet on May 18, 2025, 09:30:10 PM
I have an F2, and I just rubbed back the bad bits and re-painted in satin black VHT paint.

As far as removing paint goes, I used to have an XS1100 1.1S with a black finished engine. I was able to remove that by...er...washing the bike. Honda finished their engine cases a little better.
Title: Re: F2 Engine coating removal ?
Post by: Laverdaroo on May 18, 2025, 09:56:03 PM
That’s a lovely transformation on that engine Roo! Interested to see how you get on with yours Grewth.
Cheers Johnny, I saw it after basting all the bits and kinda liked the blue ‘hue’ it had. Clear corrector to fix it and ta da! It’s a huge difference to the 550 which I did in a silver but this finish kinda suited what she, (who shall remain nameless) wanted. Still live it though.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: F2 Engine coating removal ?
Post by: Grewth on May 21, 2025, 05:08:38 PM
All that fuss, and then I found out the coating can be just rubbed off with a stainless steel pan scourer - one of my favourite tools.
It did occur to me for a moment that someone had sold me a F1 or K series head just painted black ( I haven't had time to check the valve sizes yet), so I tried the pan scourer on my other F2 engine with exactly the same results
Title: Re: F2 Engine coating removal ?
Post by: royhall on May 21, 2025, 05:15:26 PM
Good luck getting it off between the fins.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Title: Re: F2 Engine coating removal ?
Post by: Spitfire on May 21, 2025, 06:55:49 PM
Got rid of a lot of paint from both my F1 and F2 engines with my Dremel, wet and dry paper of various grades, Brillo pads and Solvo.
To get into the fins I used lolly sticks and stirrers from McDonalds with the aforementioned wet and dry wrapped around them.
Lots of sore fingers and broken nails and it was not fast but I was retired.
(https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/4720/qq0QVJ.jpg)

Cheers

Dennis
Title: Re: F2 Engine coating removal ?
Post by: K2-K6 on May 21, 2025, 07:29:16 PM
For identification purposes, doesn't the F2 head have notably extended top fin arrangement on front fins of head ?

That's in comparison to previous iteration.
Title: Re: F2 Engine coating removal ?
Post by: Grewth on May 22, 2025, 12:43:59 AM
For identification purposes, doesn't the F2 head have notably extended top fin arrangement on front fins of head ?

That's in comparison to previous iteration.
Thanks for that.
As soon as I get chance  (likely to be Friday) I'll compare the front fins on the four heads I've got.
There's a complete F2 engine,  the loose (allegedly) F2 head I've just bought,  a complete F1 engine,  and  loose K type head of unknown vintage.
Title: Re: F2 Engine coating removal ?
Post by: Grewth on May 22, 2025, 01:14:11 AM
Apparently the F2 head can be identified by having different drain back holes to the earlier heads -

Head Drain-Back Hole: The F2 head has a common head drain-back hole, unlike earlier models, which eliminated the middle drain-back holes.

I have to confess that I'm not quite sure exactly what I'm looking at,  but I'm sure I'll be finding out very shortly.
Title: Re: F2 Engine coating removal ?
Post by: K2-K6 on May 22, 2025, 07:19:59 AM
Apparently the F2 head can be identified by having different drain back holes to the earlier heads -

Head Drain-Back Hole: The F2 head has a common head drain-back hole, unlike earlier models, which eliminated the middle drain-back holes.

I have to confess that I'm not quite sure exactly what I'm looking at,  but I'm sure I'll be finding out very shortly.

Yes, correct. They were struggling with development (without big changes) on this last iteration.  The objective looked to keep more oil at that level by restricting drain volume is my view of it.

The bigger valves were moved further back upward into the combustion chamber to give clearance at their head diameter, both between them and bore periphery naturally. 
The angle between them often quoted as changing by some sconces, incorrectly as for example I've worked with.
But it did put the top of valve stem higher in relation to the arc of movement in tappet face, which ultimately put more side load on the valves from that arc of interaction geometry.  It's primarily this that affects wear on valve guide, exhaust predominantly.

The F2 has to use higher dome piston to maintain compression in that bigger chamber too. Valve springs stepped up in rating, higher rpm ceiling etc.

Also std F2 has an oil "cooler" plate fitted between filter housing and crankcase, extra fins etc and longer filter bolt to accommodate (I think) but worth checking.
Mounting F2 head on F1 or K bottom you'd have to consider and check oil return path etc. Or the opposite swap likewise.
Title: Re: F2 Engine coating removal ?
Post by: Grewth on May 22, 2025, 07:30:09 AM
Many thanks  !
I'm beginning to realise just what a can of worms I've opened here, but I suppose that's the only way that you truly learn anything.
I think you've just explained why the F2 has a reputation for valve problems at 30-40,000 miles, while the earlier engines do not.
I've had the foresight to purchase both the F/F1 parts catalogue and the one for the F2.
Without checking,  I think that the cam carriers remain the same, but the rocker arms change for the F2/F3.
That makes perfect sense.