Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: glhonda on May 26, 2025, 09:53:07 PM

Title: Steering stem interchange
Post by: glhonda on May 26, 2025, 09:53:07 PM
I have a '71 cb500 four. K1? It's presently in an old Savior chopper frame. Because I'm a gluten for punishment, I intend to put it back on the road. It was always a death trap, but it's on my bucket list so.....
I have the same problem that has plagued this vintage of Honda. The upper tree clamp ears break. I know I can spend eight hundred dollars for a new triple tree, but I'm cheap. I'll be using the stock diameter front tubes.
Who has a definitive interchange with a sturdier upper clamp? Thanks.
Title: Re: Steering stem interchange
Post by: Oddjob on May 26, 2025, 09:58:33 PM
The CB550F fits, it has smaller drillings in the stanchion clamps, 7mm as opposed to 8mm for the 500. So it uses a smaller clamp bolt and that means less torque and more metal left on the clamps.

The downside, it uses bigger clocks but then the 550K2 used the same size clocks so it's still look original. Saying that the bigger clocks light better at night, 2 bulbs as opposed to one, they are easier to see with them being angled toward the rider, whereas the 500 is almost flat. They are also better looking IMO.
Title: Re: Steering stem interchange
Post by: Bryanj on May 26, 2025, 10:47:41 PM
There is no "sturdier" ont any 500 or 550K up to 76 will fit and the clock mounting bracket from yours will fit
Title: Re: Steering stem interchange
Post by: glhonda on May 26, 2025, 11:39:53 PM
Clarification please. Oddjob. The 550F will work if I don't use the original clocks (Gauges?). This is a chopper, so aftermarket speedo and tach will be used which would eliminate the need for stock gauges/brackets. Simply using a smaller bolt doesn't necessarily add to the strength of the entire surround. Is the casting thicker?
BryanJ. Is your comment based solely on the bracket fitment or are there not any sturdier pieces that will fit. Again, this will not be using standard gauges.
Title: Re: Steering stem interchange
Post by: Oddjob on May 27, 2025, 01:45:30 AM
AFAIK the casting wall is the same size, I could be wrong and they were cast different, it is a different casting to the 500, however as the hole running through it is smaller then the walls left are thicker, they don’t seem to suffer breakages like the 500 does. Saying that, the 500 is supposed to use washers fitted into the slot to limit the amount the casting can be compressed, a lot are left out when rebuilding due to lack of knowledge of what they were fitted for in the first place.

I’ve got a 550 top yoke fitted on my 500 using the 500 bottom yoke, so it does fit. The clock mounting plate holes are different between the 500 and 550, so no the 500 clocks won’t fit, However if you’re not using standard clocks anyway that’s not an important factor. Clocks equals gauges yes.

Does that help?
Title: Re: Steering stem interchange
Post by: glhonda on May 27, 2025, 03:43:22 AM
Oddjob. Since you're using the 550f top plate, it sounds like this may be looking for. Are the spacers still used/required? And is the entire triple interchangeable, or is the stem length/diameter different?
Title: Re: Steering stem interchange
Post by: Oddjob on May 27, 2025, 11:49:42 AM
No the spacers are not used on the 550F, the bottom yoke is also interchangeable, I don't normally mention it as you then lose the steering lock if using on a 500 frame but that's not a problem with you. Everything between the 500 and 550 in that area is interchangeable, most of my front end is 550 except the bottom yoke as that as I said has the steering lock on it.

The middle bolt is the same BTW but the end bolts are special, flanged chrome 7mm (with 10mm head) and a flanged chromed nut as well.

This looks suitable and cheap.

Needs some paint though.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/365421692123?_skw=cb550f+yokes&itmmeta=01JW8NPVBD74SSZ64PSEKZ6728&hash=item5514d484db:g:94cAAOSwwlZknjSB&itmprp=enc%3AAQAKAAAA0FkggFvd1GGDu0w3yXCmi1dMBxvffxWfymVEne5gFx2YCGzR9qUmjxxRDocIK5hxU7BvIvapGngIBvHg5r4hAMt0Wxo0dUZ0BWELDa1JLneZRSEGphjPDvJV%2BU0XCTKGD2VyGd3alrvzVXps1IqxMi1%2BJiTMT9CcrJcwigpj2PQvLKYRI5fz16DVzMt48VazqQR%2BCebUsTPV3NXUFlbwIA9WLybScDk%2FPYGnkOsFi%2BYQJ8%2Bh6c6rOrbXESLOdQ%2FusvwOzAJQyihjNq2CwaKR4Sk%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR4i225XiZQ
Title: Re: Steering stem interchange
Post by: glhonda on May 27, 2025, 05:52:53 PM
Thanks for all your helpful info and quick responses. Much appreciated!
Title: Re: Steering stem interchange
Post by: glhonda on June 02, 2025, 11:35:51 PM
Oddjob, good call. I bought this steering stem assembly off ebay. Listed as '76 honda CB550F. This one has spacers and uses "normal" bolts. The mount tabs for the clock bracket are different, but pertinent to my application. The castings are at least 20% thicker than the stock cb500 K2. Thanks. This should work much better than the original.
Title: Re: Steering stem interchange
Post by: Oddjob on June 03, 2025, 12:05:19 AM
Significantly beefed up the walls of the tube clamps haven’t they. Never noticed that tbh but fits with what I’d have expected Honda to do to deal with the problem, clearly they’ve used a different mould for the 550F top yoke.

Any differences you can spot between the bottom yokes beside the steering lock not being on there?

Glad it worked out and the forum has some new info on it now.
Title: Re: Steering stem interchange
Post by: glhonda on June 03, 2025, 03:49:01 AM
The bottom yoke appears to be identical.. WITH a steering lock. The stem is the same height and diameter. I also checked for replacement neck bearings. Pretty much all the 500/550's use the same "allballs" kit.