Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => Other Bikes => Topic started by: philward on June 13, 2025, 02:40:21 PM

Title: Brake seals
Post by: philward on June 13, 2025, 02:40:21 PM
Hi Guys, long time since I've posted so obviously I'm still alive! Last scan showed stable. I've got rid of all my bikes as I can't ride due to having to surrender my license and to save family the hassle of selling them when the inevitable happens. However, I soon got bored and bought a wreck (it was the worst condition bike I've had) of a ZZR400 to do up.
I'm just rebuilding the calipers and have forgot which way to put the seals in (tapered seals). I've read that the wider part of the seal should be facing towards the pads (smaller part of taper towards caliper body).
Is that correct?
Thanks in anticipation
Phil

Sent from my moto g(50) using Tapatalk

Title: Re: Brake seals
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on June 13, 2025, 03:07:14 PM
Seems wrong but I belive that is correct.

Google agrees.https://www.google.com/search?q=how+do+tappered+seals+fit+in+a+brake+caliper&rlz=1C1CHBF_enGB1048GB1048&oq=how+do+tappered+seals+fit+in+a+brake+caliper&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOTIJCAEQIRgKGKABMgkIAhAhGAoYoAEyCQgDECEYChigAdIBCjI0MTk2ajBqMTWoAgiwAgHxBbYueDb5TGpF8QW2Lng2-UxqRQ&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Title: Re: Brake seals
Post by: Laverda Dave on June 13, 2025, 03:15:07 PM
Hi Phil.

I can't help with the brake seals but welcome back to the forum  :). I hope the rebuild goes well, they are busy engines in those bikes!
Title: Re: Brake seals
Post by: Oddjob on June 13, 2025, 05:56:03 PM
Gone past your area a few times in the last year or so and I almost called in a couple of times. TBH I didn't know whether to or not, no news etc. Glad to see you're still around, I'll pop in if I'm in the area next time if that's ok.
Title: Re: Brake seals
Post by: philward on June 13, 2025, 06:19:29 PM
Your very welcome to call in Graham!

Sent from my moto g(50) using Tapatalk

Title: Re: Brake seals
Post by: Oddjob on June 13, 2025, 10:37:14 PM
That would be great if my name was Graham Phil but my mum called me Ken 🤣🤣🤣
Title: Re: Brake seals
Post by: philward on June 15, 2025, 09:24:35 AM
Sorry Ken - senior moment!

Sent from my moto g(50) using Tapatalk

Title: Re: Brake seals
Post by: philward on June 15, 2025, 12:39:35 PM
Still welcome to call in Ken!

Sent from my moto g(50) using Tapatalk

Title: Re: Brake seals
Post by: Rozabikes Tim on June 15, 2025, 12:58:58 PM
Great to hear you are doing ok. Got to giggle about selling the bikes but still not kicked the bike infection. That ain't curable!
Title: Re: Brake seals
Post by: Oddjob on June 15, 2025, 03:09:50 PM
Next time I'm in the area on the bike I'll be sure to pop in, still got your number so will ring to check it's ok beforehand.
Title: Re: Brake seals
Post by: Johnny4428 on August 23, 2025, 11:07:42 AM
Great to see you back on here Phil, sad about your license but good you are still tinkering.
Title: Re: Brake seals
Post by: philward on August 23, 2025, 11:00:31 PM
Thanks and yeah, still tinkering but this one is testing me!

Sent from my moto g(50) using Tapatalk