Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: Athame57 on July 05, 2025, 04:36:06 PM
-
Having just fitted new items I'm soon to offer my not so bad CB400F collector box and header pipes on Ebay. But how can I actually tell if I have the originals? I see no markings to tell me anything on what I have here.
-
I have a genuine system bought from DS in the late 90's for £150 complete with clamps and 377 silencer (stop crying at the back, I know they have gone up a little bit since then!) I can't find any markings on the headers or collector but here are a few pics - sorry about the specs of dust - the cleaner was busy!
[attach=1]
[attach=2]
[attach=3]
The paint bands are exactly as they came. Hope this helps identification,
Ian
-
The paint bands are exactly as they came. Hope this helps identification,
Well, I can't find much to compare with the paint marks, but after 47 years (?)on a bike that has been through the mill, no surprise there. That said I'm pretty satisfied it's original so I'll spruce them up for Ebay pics and flog them as such! ;D
-
By the way Ian, do you actually ride this mint bike, or just take it to shows? :)
-
Look at the very top of the headers where they go into the exhaust ports in the head (by the flange that is gripped by the finned exhaust clamps. You should see one or two very small circular indentations about 3mm in diameter. I think these are spot welding marks made when the headers were made. This is where the second inner skin has been welded to the outer skin. Genuine Honda headers were double skinned to avoid 'bluing'. Whilst this may not indicate the headers are genuine, I don't think aftermarket headers were double skinned including the repro sets sold by DSS.
-
Thanks Dave, no sign of indentations so far, could they have worn out over time? There has absolutley never been any blueing of these pipes. Happily there hasn't been any on the new set either, I've had them really hot too.
-
By the way Ian, do you actually ride this mint bike, or just take it to shows? :)
It has been used sparingly (only recently finished restoring it) but in all honesty, my 350/4 is a much better bike for me with a 5 speed box and a better riding position with higher bars and footrests in a better place, so that's my real favourite. Saying that, the new Forza gets used a heck of a lot and I've already clocked up 8500 miles in 2 years! I also prefer the 'balanced' look of the 4 pipe bikes and the 4 into 1 stuff looks unfinished on the left hand side. I also have a 550 F1 with 4 into 1.
Ian
-
FWIW, a DSS exhaust was installed on my 400 by the previous owner. I bought it in 2023 and regularly work the bike pretty hard and there is still no bluing of the header pipes.
-
Glad to hear that Mike. :)