Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: Nashfly on July 14, 2025, 08:18:53 PM

Title: She's Finished
Post by: Nashfly on July 14, 2025, 08:18:53 PM
Thanks to a huge amount of hard work and assistance from this forum, I have finished my road going RC181 replica

Completed 2 days before I headed to the Isle of Man TT races, 'Hayley Honda' performed admirably around the TT mountain course

Title: Re: She's Finished
Post by: Laverda Dave on July 14, 2025, 08:22:17 PM
That's very nice and good to hear it all went well on the island :)
Title: Re: She's Finished
Post by: Gromitdog on July 14, 2025, 09:06:37 PM
Nice one well done what a classic machine to take to the IOM TT 🤗🤗🤗
Title: Re: She's Finished
Post by: Rozabikes Tim on July 14, 2025, 09:21:23 PM
Lovely thing. 500/4 based?
Title: Re: She's Finished
Post by: Athame57 on July 14, 2025, 09:24:16 PM
She's a classic beauty!  ;D
Title: Re: She's Finished
Post by: Nashfly on July 14, 2025, 09:26:34 PM
Lovely thing. 500/4 based?

Yep, bought as a two time unfinished project and rides beautifully

I've had this painting on my wall at home for over 30 years, now I have the bike....ish!!


Title: Re: She's Finished
Post by: Rozabikes Tim on July 14, 2025, 09:39:22 PM
Lovely thing. 500/4 based?

Yep, bought as a two time unfinished project and rides beautifully

3rd time lucky then!
Title: Re: She's Finished
Post by: Nashfly on July 14, 2025, 10:21:54 PM
Lovely thing. 500/4 based?

Yep, bought as a two time unfinished project and rides beautifully

3rd time lucky then!

And they say "never buy an unfinished project" and they're absolutely right!

As for a double unfinished project - never, ever, ever - this is from personal experience!
Title: Re: She's Finished
Post by: Johnny4428 on July 15, 2025, 06:45:46 AM
That’s a great looking bike and a credit to you for the work you have put into it and for not passing it on and becoming a third timer!🤣
Title: Re: She's Finished
Post by: ST1100 on July 15, 2025, 07:37:13 AM
Looks screaming... while still parked  8)

Really great outcome!
Title: Re: She's Finished
Post by: magpie114 on July 15, 2025, 07:51:33 AM
Really like that. Great job!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: She's Finished
Post by: Laverda Dave on July 15, 2025, 08:11:19 AM
Where did you get the exhaust, is it hand made? They really add to the look👍
Title: Re: She's Finished
Post by: Johnwebley on July 15, 2025, 09:26:20 AM
Very nice

Well done



Sent from my SM-A546E using Tapatalk

Title: Re: She's Finished
Post by: Spitfire on July 15, 2025, 10:11:16 AM
Absolutely gorgeous, I would have loved one like that in my younger days, the poster on my wall was Hailwood on a six and I still love that look.

Cheers

Dennis
Title: Re: She's Finished
Post by: Nashfly on July 15, 2025, 11:13:08 AM
Where did you get the exhaust, is it hand made? They really add to the look👍

I believe they were from NRP Exhausts, but customised from standard (the originals would be shorter to allow access to change the wheel)
Title: Re: She's Finished
Post by: DomP on July 15, 2025, 06:51:40 PM
Looks great, Did you flip the forks and caliper or was that already done?  I've done the same on my 550 but had a few people say as its no longer trailing it will cause issues, it doesn't seem to to me. 

Did you have to play with jets to get the pods to work?
Title: Re: She's Finished
Post by: Nashfly on July 15, 2025, 09:06:56 PM
The project came with a front master cylinder and caliper from a mini-moto! Just one of the many bodges.....

Swapped the fork legs so the caliper sits behind the forks, had the disc drilled, fitted a braided hose and modern pads. With the reduction in the bike's weight the braking feels ok, but I  have an AP lockheed set up I could fit, if I think it needs improving

There seems no issues with the caliper behind the fork (I use a digital speedo, so the speedo drive is not an issue). I did the same on my TZ Yamaha and it's been working great for a many miles

For carburation I upped the pilots by 1 and the mains by 3 and it pulls really smoothly throughout the rev range. There is a slight popping on the overun,  so a little bit of tweaking is needed

Title: Re: She's Finished
Post by: neat street on July 16, 2025, 07:43:40 AM
thaats a super looking bike, well done and hats of to you :-)
Title: Re: She's Finished
Post by: Murf on July 23, 2025, 11:47:36 PM
Fantastic build looks great well done and so good that it is road going, should draw a quite a bit of attention.