Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: neat street on July 19, 2025, 09:40:49 AM
-
Hi all, do you all use hondabond on the crankcases or any other type of sealant like Mannol 912? the price range varies by quite a bit for Hondabond? is it all genuine?
thank you
-
I've never put two crankcase halves together myself. But if you are buying something like Hondabond, (the only sealant I remember being discussed here) on Ebay then check out the sellers record and rating, it's very telling. ;)
-
You can also use Yamabond. I've bought Hondabond a couple of times in the past and it's excellent but expensive, £18 for a small tube of it. The really annoying thing about it is it goes off in the tube over time. I have tried most things such as stretching a piece of rubber glove over the end before screwing the cap back on, blocking the tube with a screw down the end etc but nothing seems to stop it. Being solvent based once the seal is broken it will tend to evaporate and I'd guess they are all the same.
-
Seen Alan Miliyard using grey permatex in a few of his videos.
-
Any compound that does not dry into lumps that clog oilways is fine BUT the thing to remember is USE SARINGLY
-
You can also use Yamabond. I've bought Hondabond a couple of times in the past and it's excellent but expensive, £18 for a small tube of it. The really annoying thing about it is it goes off in the tube over time. I have tried most things such as stretching a piece of rubber glove over the end before screwing the cap back on, blocking the tube with a screw down the end etc but nothing seems to stop it. Being solvent based once the seal is broken it will tend to evaporate and I'd guess they are all the same.
Have you tried keeping it in the fridge? Should prolong it somewhat :)
-
Have you tried keeping it in the fridge? Should prolong it somewhat :)
It would help to be a bachelor surely? ;D
-
Thank you all for your comments, I wlli order the Hondabond just as we know it works, how long do we have to put the cases together? I tried a test fit and it was awkward to fit the three forks in the right place, line up the rings and pins in the bearings ect, but now thats done once, its just the forks that are the pain. anyone have an easier way to line up appart from putting a csrewdrive in the gap and pushing the forks towards the respective gears :-)
-
This is a very good seiries of five videos on rebuilding a CB400F engine, full of tips and tricks too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR-MiqdHi1w&t=36s
-
I must be lucky, I bought Hondabond to do my rebuild nearly 2 years ago and it's still not set in the tube. As others have said use the most minimal amount, it'll almost seem too little but the close tolerance of the mating faces will require very little sealant.
-
This is a very good seiries of five videos on rebuilding a CB400F engine, full of tips and tricks too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR-MiqdHi1w&t=36s
yes, great video, unfortunatly the gears and the forks on the 500 are in different halfs of the crankcase :-( would be much easier if it was the same.
-
No, you assemble everything in top half of 500 and fit lower case over fitting primary shaft after
-
Thanks Brian, will check that out. not sure how that works, but will test try tomorrow. :-)
-
Yesm what a numpty I am, Brian your a star, could not weait till tomorrow and all is going to plan now. Thank you all so much for your help and comments.
-
Just make doubly sure all the bearing dowels are properly located before tightening!!!
-
Thanks again Brian and all who contributed :)