Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: JEZZAIRONBRIDGE on July 28, 2025, 12:58:15 PM
-
Hi.
Just a quick question.
Is there a set Torque for the Lower Hexagon (Allen Key) Bolt?
Can't seem to find the setting, if there is one.
Many thanks.
-
Generic 8mm bolt in manual, use new copper washer
-
Generic 8mm bolt in manual, use new copper washer
I just checked on CMSL, part # 90116283010 is an 8mm allen bolt. Assuming Jezza means the one that secures the seat of the internal pipe.
-
Hex head external or internal allen its still 8mm so generic torque unless specified different
-
Maybe there is no official torque setting. Looking at the reccomended tool for the job, it doesn't seem to lend itself to onne.
-
Yup but square drive hex keys were not common when the manual was written, now they are easy to get, even long ones from at least snap on
-
I have just used a hand impact driver and a few taps with a hammer to nip them up.
Regarding the copper washers, just rub them over a flat surface with 600 wet'n'dry to clean and heat to red colour with a blow torch to anneal them Never had one leak so far.
Regards
Dave
-
I think, if I remember right from Nurse Julies rebuild that replacing the allen bolt can be a pain because the pipe is reluctant to recieve and needs to be restrained or something to prevent rotation?
-
You're right George, there's nothing so stop it spinning round inside other than a small amount of friction, hence the need for a rattle gun or impact driver. It's the same when it comes to undoing them, about half a turn and the whole lot just spins round.
Regards
Dave
-
Thanks all for information.
Looks to be interesting re build.
-
I pushed a length of wooden broom handle down the sanction to compress the spring tight against the damper to stop it turning.
Make sure the seat where the copper washer sits is absolutely clean, being so close to the road it gets a lot of muck thrown at it.
-
My method was a little less dignified.
Clamped the slider in a B&D workmate so that it's feet were held quite a way off the floor and then sat on the workmate with the slider between my legs compress the spring. Then hammered away at the impact driver taking care not to miss.
Regards
Dave
-
Fork Seal fitment.
I am replacing Seals that have previously been replaced.
Need to be sure I am fitting them correct way up, or down.
If previously fitted wrong would like to be sure I am now fitting them correctly.
Can you advise how to tell.
Many thanks.
-
The open side with the spring visible goes down
-
My new Honda Seals have Seals inner and outer
Part number 91255 413 881 from D. Silver.
-
The embossed writing on the seal faces upwards when fitted.
-
Thanks very much for guidance.
Gone this far, want to be sure all is correct.
Very much appreciated.
-
I think there is a tool for pushing the seals home without damaging them, but lacking that any hacks anyone?
-
I think there is a tool for pushing the seals home without damaging them, but lacking that any hacks anyone?
Use the seal you've removed George. Place on top of new seal and tap home.
-
Use the seal you've removed George. Place on top of new seal and tap home.
Gotcha, one for the next time! ;D