Honda-SOHC

Other Stuff => Misc / Open => Topic started by: K2-K6 on August 02, 2025, 06:29:45 PM

Title: Now here's a thing I find odd
Post by: K2-K6 on August 02, 2025, 06:29:45 PM
I find it an odd way to ride or drive something without rev matching going down gear ratios, quite severe downshift in this video

https://youtu.be/Z962LAhQaH8?si=q7kQRD_KElCN_TY3

In both bikes or cars, I like it to be imperceptible and smooth to change down a ratio. Is that odd ?

Only in very specific circumstances in a car, but not bike that I'd use that method to indice rear attitude to chassis.
Title: Re: Now here's a thing I find odd
Post by: Johnwebley on August 02, 2025, 06:40:27 PM
See what you mean,

Not very smooth at

Must be hell on the rear chain

A decent blip on the throttle will keep things smooth, and sound good

The rider is not thinking far enough ahead

Sent from my SM-A546E using Tapatalk

Title: Re: Now here's a thing I find odd
Post by: Laverda Dave on August 02, 2025, 10:09:21 PM
That's almost painful to listen to!
One of the biggest thrills of riding a motorcycle is when you blip the throttle to change down a gear and the next gear seamlessly drops in with the engine revs matching the speed with no jerking or clunking.  Even better when you drop two gears into a bend with perfect timing for the true GP experience although very rare.
Title: Re: Now here's a thing I find odd
Post by: Bryanj on August 02, 2025, 10:57:36 PM
Do any of you youngsters remember the Triumph slickshift gearchange
Title: Re: Now here's a thing I find odd
Post by: Rozabikes Tim on August 02, 2025, 11:29:20 PM
Do any of you youngsters remember the Triumph slickshift gearchange

Nope enlighten me Bryan?

Also I watched a  utube car thing the other day where a guy had put a Hayabussa engine in a Fiat 500 - yes! Both blokes driving it didn't have a clue as per this thread. To be fair, the journo said he had never ridden a bike and was blown away by the bike gearbox.
Title: Re: Now here's a thing I find odd
Post by: Bryanj on August 03, 2025, 02:23:43 AM
Triumph slickshift,
When you moved the gear lever on right foot, an arm on the mechanism moved a cam inside the outer cover that pushed the clutch pushrod and disengged the clutch.

Once, and once only, i managed to get home after my clutch cable broke by smashing the gear lever down with engine running the very slowly, and as blaster bates would have said, a touch like a bloody midwife with my foot let the gearchange up and set off.

Not an easy thing to do but it worked.

As to the strange engine transplants there is a guy on goldwingfacts that has transplanted a GL 1500 into a hillman imp and made it efi
Title: Re: Now here's a thing I find odd
Post by: Rozabikes Tim on August 03, 2025, 07:41:06 AM
Have you seen the auto clutch Honda are putting on some models now - CBR650F? Seems excellent and light years on from the Hondamatic 750 SOHC nightmare.
Title: Re: Now here's a thing I find odd
Post by: DomP on August 03, 2025, 07:44:34 AM
Ive got a quick shifter on my triumph daytona, lots of fun
Title: Re: Now here's a thing I find odd
Post by: Laverdaroo on August 03, 2025, 08:48:15 AM
I find it an odd way to ride or drive something without rev matching going down gear ratios, quite severe downshift in this video

https://youtu.be/Z962LAhQaH8?si=q7kQRD_KElCN_TY3

In both bikes or cars, I like it to be imperceptible and smooth to change down a ratio. Is that odd ?

Only in very specific circumstances in a car, but not bike that I'd use that method to indice rear attitude to chassis.
I couldn’t watch all of that after the third downshift, that chap doesn’t know the meaning of ‘smooth’.
I don’t think he’s familiar with ‘mechanical sympathy’.

I’ve ridden a few bikes from most manufacturers that have quick shifters, by far the worst was on a Panzer wagon K1300, awful delay and a right clatter between the cogs, and it was new.

By far the best was on a Trumpet 675 like Dom’s; seamless changes, no bangs or missed gears. Like he said, a right laugh in the twisties and especially down the box at pace into roundabouts on the dual carriageway on the A3


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk