Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: TimS-Orby on August 11, 2025, 07:08:04 PM

Title: CB500 K2 Carb linkage flimsy flat link thing?
Post by: TimS-Orby on August 11, 2025, 07:08:04 PM
So.. CB500 K2…, this flat bar/link that joins each pair of throttle actuators and sits beneath the synchronisation locknuts (pointed at in the pic)… what’s its purpose? I can’t see that it plays any direct roll in the synchronisation of each pair of carbs, because they still adjust individually via the screws and locknuts. Does it simply hold the two brackets/actuators parallel, vertically.. and essentially, for want of a better term, stop them waggling around on those tiny ball joints?
I’m asking because despite the greatest of care in handling, whilst reassembling the carbs this afternoon one of those flat, flimsy “links” fell apart in my hand… clean down the middle.. like a carrot… and I didn’t even shout at it!
I can locate it in the parts list, but it seems that it’s part of a “set”, which would mean even if they are available they would cost a squillion quids… so I’m in the process of making a new one (Yeah, Right, Tim!), but I’d really like to know what they actually do, and how accurate my replica needs to be.
Anyone have any idea about all of that?
Any help much appreciated. And honestly, it wasn’t my fault!
T


Title: Re: CB500 K2 Carb linkage flimsy flat link thing?
Post by: Nurse Julie on August 11, 2025, 07:14:12 PM
They are carb sync links, they help prevent lateral and vertical movement. If you can't make any, I have a few sets available out of the 500 pairs I had made a few years back.
Title: Re: CB500 K2 Carb linkage flimsy flat link thing?
Post by: TimS-Orby on August 11, 2025, 07:28:52 PM
Thanks, Julie. It’s great to know that I could purchase from you if my attempt fail! It turns out that I have  an equally flimsy old steel rule that’s the exact same thickness… so I’ll have a go using that as my material, and give you a shout if I mess up!
Thanks again,
T
Title: Re: CB500 K2 Carb linkage flimsy flat link thing?
Post by: deltarider on August 12, 2025, 09:20:10 AM
Make your own out of a feeler gauge. Nursie Julie can infrom you on the thickness.
Title: Re: CB500 K2 Carb linkage flimsy flat link thing?
Post by: OZZYSBIKES on August 12, 2025, 09:52:22 AM
Hi

To nurse Julie
If you have a set available I would like one please

Regards Jeff
Title: Re: CB500 K2 Carb linkage flimsy flat link thing?
Post by: taysidedragon on August 12, 2025, 10:27:43 AM
I made a set out of aircraft aluminium sheet. Still going strong after 6 years of use. I'm still not convinced that they need to be there.
Title: Re: CB500 K2 Carb linkage flimsy flat link thing?
Post by: deltarider on August 12, 2025, 12:15:23 PM
I made a set out of aircraft aluminium sheet. Still going strong after 6 years of use. I'm still not convinced that they need to be there.
No, not really.
Title: Re: CB500 K2 Carb linkage flimsy flat link thing?
Post by: Nurse Julie on August 12, 2025, 02:38:23 PM
Hi

To nurse Julie
If you have a set available I would like one please

Regards Jeff
I'll PM you later Jeff.