Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: Grewth on August 25, 2025, 05:49:31 PM

Title: Gone and ripped myself off again !
Post by: Grewth on August 25, 2025, 05:49:31 PM
Don't you just hate it when this happens.
I sporadically buy CB750 speedos and tachos when they come up cheap on ebay.
TBH, I can't remember who I bought this tacho from, but I probably left +ve feedback on it.
Just fitted it to my 750K project  (because the one fitted had a dent in the bezel).
Everything went together fine until I stopped to check the alignment.
Many foul oaths were muttered  !
Now does anyone manufacture replacement crimp bands for these instruments  ?[attachimg=1]
Title: Re: Gone and ripped myself off again !
Post by: SumpMagnet on August 25, 2025, 05:58:28 PM
Dunno ... I kind of like it.

Reminds me of the 1100 Katana I owned. Only Suzuki designed it that way.
Title: Re: Gone and ripped myself off again !
Post by: exvalvesetdabbler on August 25, 2025, 06:02:08 PM
That's for the Australian market.😀

I think cb750 faces had crimp bands listed last time I looked.


Regards
Dave
Title: Re: Gone and ripped myself off again !
Post by: Grewth on August 25, 2025, 06:17:11 PM
That's for the Australian market.😀

I think cb750 faces had crimp bands listed last time I looked.


Regards
Dave
Many thanks !
According to their website,  they've just been sold to a German company, so they're moving to Germany,  and temporarily not trading.
Myself,  being the cynic that I am, I find myself wondering if this is a good thing or a bad thing.
Title: Re: Gone and ripped myself off again !
Post by: Seabeowner on August 25, 2025, 06:49:41 PM
You can open up the ring and dismantle and re-crimp and if it's not great then most will be hidden by the rubber mount. Make a wooden jig to hold the inverted gauge.
Title: Re: Gone and ripped myself off again !
Post by: Grewth on August 25, 2025, 07:28:24 PM
You can open up the ring and dismantle and re-crimp and if it's not great then most will be hidden by the rubber mount. Make a wooden jig to hold the inverted gauge.
Unfortunately,  someone has already de-crimped the crimp ring and then re-crimped it at some point.
Hence the instrument face being refitted upside down.
Many years of skilful bodgery has led me to develop my own rebuild system for Japanese clocks.
I simply cut through the crimp band at right angles with a Dremel or something similar, then carefully prise the crimp band off.
The sealing rubber gasket rings are almost always perished, so I just chuck them away.
To reassemble I use epoxy adhesive inside the joint,  and hold the split crimp band in place with a large jubilee clip.
Works near perfect if you made the cut where you can hardly see it.
Of course in this case the crimp band has already been chewed up by persons unknown.
Not much point in trying to save it.
Title: Re: Gone and ripped myself off again !
Post by: Seabeowner on August 25, 2025, 07:51:11 PM
Yes I've did one in exactly that way as well, still using it. You'd never know unless I pointed it out.
Title: Re: Gone and ripped myself off again !
Post by: Gromitdog on August 26, 2025, 09:27:34 PM
Hi
There is a guy down in Kent that does rebuild these units and buys the crimp rings in batches.
Pete Horton you can PM him on here or email him Peterhortongauges@gmail.com.

Hope that helps
 
Nige
Title: Re: Gone and ripped myself off again !
Post by: Laverda Dave on August 26, 2025, 10:00:48 PM
Peter is the absolute dogs B's when it comes to gauges, 110% recommend 👍.
Title: Re: Gone and ripped myself off again !
Post by: Athame57 on August 26, 2025, 10:48:09 PM
That's for the Australian market.😀
As a matter of interest Dave, how did you know they were for the Australian market?  ???
Title: Re: Gone and ripped myself off again !
Post by: exvalvesetdabbler on August 26, 2025, 11:17:44 PM
Upside down, or they were standing on their head when the face was refitted....
Title: Re: Gone and ripped myself off again !
Post by: Athame57 on August 27, 2025, 02:10:36 AM
Upside down, or they were standing on their head when the face was refitted....

LOL!  ;D ;D ;D ;D  But one clock was one way, the other another. Maybe you mean they were for the equatorial market?
Title: Re: Gone and ripped myself off again !
Post by: Athame57 on August 27, 2025, 02:24:00 AM
Hi
There is a guy down in Kent that does rebuild these units and buys the crimp rings in batches.
Pete Horton you can PM him on here or email him Peterhortongauges@gmail.com.

Hope that helps
 
Nige
He is known as Kent400 on the site: https://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php?action=profile;u=701
Title: Re: Gone and ripped myself off again !
Post by: Grewth on August 27, 2025, 06:44:09 AM
Many thanks.
I've made a note about Peter Horton, and also CB750 Faces.
TBH, I'm not attempting to build an immaculate show condition bike.
My bikes tend to get ridden all year round,  I use them to commute to work as well as touring/camping trips.
So if I spend lots of money building something that looks brand new, it soon ends up looking used again.
One thing I draw a line at is riding in freezing cold weather.
Road salt is the kiss of death for old Japanese bikes.
Imagine a 750 Four after about five years of well maintained use - that's what I aim for.
I'm paying around £25 to £40 for a used guage, sometimes less if they are damaged or have been dismantled by someone with more enthusiasm than skill.
It's a sort of scattergun approach.
If I buy enough gauges, I should always have enough bits to build a decent looking set.
Title: Re: Gone and ripped myself off again !
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on August 27, 2025, 11:32:20 AM
I think Marcel (CB750Faces) has retired.
He was a sponsor on here - username lecram


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Gone and ripped myself off again !
Post by: Grewth on August 27, 2025, 12:39:35 PM
I think Marcel (CB750Faces) has retired.
He was a sponsor on here - username lecram

Ahhh.
That probably explains the sale of his business to a German  company.
Probably a very good thing - at least all of their products will still be available.
I'm just suspicious of buyouts and takeovers in general.
Too many times a company gets bought up simply for the purpose of being closed down and eliminated as competition.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk