Honda-SOHC
Other Stuff => Misc / Open => Topic started by: Athame57 on August 30, 2025, 02:48:08 AM
-
This video of a bike vs van crash on MSN is causing a lot of debate, what's your take on it? I'm in the top commenters as Sea Witch
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/awful-moment-van-rams-biker-off-road-before-fleeing-caught-on-dashcam/ar-AA1Logyu
-
When drivers do not stop after an accident, a not rare occurrence I suspect as well as the obvious reasons like it's a stolen or uninsured vehicle, drunk or drugged driver, there are also law abiding folk who do not stop. Some do later own up, I've often thought it's linked not just to consequences, but the adrenaline rush of our fight or flight brain wiring.
I'm not making excuses for such behaviour that illustrate a lack of moral integrity.
-
Shocking, what happened to the rider, it looked very nasty.
-
Unfortunately the world is full of dangerous tossers. You have to ride defensively because no-one else is looking out for your safety. And hope that you're not unlucky and meet one of these ar#eholes in the wrong place at the wrong time.
I had a big smash nearly 20 years ago when 3 youngsters in a car tried to rush across a dual carriageway junction instead of giving way. I think the only reason they didn't drive off after the accident was because my Speed Triple put a big hole in the side of their Ford Focus, making it undriveable.
The bike was written off, of course, and I nearly was too. ☹
-
The bike was written off, of course, and I nearly was too. ☹
I'm glad you're still with us Gareth! :o
-
Van driver absolutely responsible in my view.
Looking at the curb of that filter lane suggest there is no provision for the van to take that right turn out from their approach road .... likely the priority and signage has that prohibited from their direction, instead to let them only join their immediate carriageway by turning left onto it.
To do that manoeuvre, misjudge the approaching traffic, cause the accident, the just fcuk off .... shows a callous disregard that should rightly be prosecuted.
The bike rider however, did not react to "incoming" threat as it became visible past that centre hedgerow screen. Further, there were warning signs of that junction indicating a hazard was approaching as they passed the camera car. Their reaction and readiness was simply not actioned early enough to take care of themselves in this scenario.
Little solice of being right when you're the one in the ditch :o
I'm not so naturally cautious, but those crossing of dual carriageway are historically high risk, often with catastrophic results. They do give me the heebe-geebes when I see anyone moving in them.
I'd have covered and possibly actioned the brakes earlier to check where the visuals were playing out ... while checking the mirror for inattentive following vehicles.
-
It's the same layout as a junction near me which does allow access ( ie - the van would be allowed to join from the central reservation).
It is horrible to join when it's busy. In particular, when a queue of vans and 4x4's is lining up to leave from the slip road it's impossible to see down the road from the central reservation as they obscure the view. Then you get the Muppets who insist on joining you in the central reservation so there are two cars side by side trying to see / pull out...which is lethal. You just have to sit and wait for it to clear.
The dual carriageway is also east/west so low sun in the mornings and evenings can make the views in both directions almost impossible.
In this case though, no visibility issues at all for that van.