Honda-SOHC

Other Stuff => Misc / Open => Topic started by: Laverda Dave on August 30, 2025, 11:10:22 PM

Title: Wiring connectors, what size are Honda?
Post by: Laverda Dave on August 30, 2025, 11:10:22 PM
I'm trying to determine exactly what size of wiring connectors are used on the 1976 TL125s I am currently restoring.
Something I thought would be easy to determine is turning out to be a brain teaser!
So far I've come across 2.2, 2.8 and 3.6mm connectors on the internet used for Honda bikes. I thought I should be using 3.6mm and life would be a box of chocolates but the Kojat (not sure if I've spelt that correctly) state 2.8mm are used on older Honda's although it doesn't define what is an old Honda? I consider myself to be 'old' but I'm young compared to some people I know!
How do I measure an existing connector to determine the actual size because they are different diameters at the tip and the crimp?
In addition, I would like to use thinner gauge cable to make new parts of the existing loom but I've read as the system is 6v I should use 1.0mm gauge (same as existing) due to the higher resistance in a 6v circuit?
As you can probably guess electrickary when it comes to automotive applications is not my strongest asset!
Any help/guidance would be helpful in order to avoid the finished bike becoming a mobile bonfire!
Title: Re: Wiring connectors, what size are Honda?
Post by: TrickyMicky on August 31, 2025, 07:57:35 AM
Don't be tempted with thnner gauge cable. Remember the old equation, volts x amps = watts. So, if you use a 30watt headlamp bulb using 6 volts, then it will be drawing 5 amps. One of the main reasons for using a 12 volt system.  I am not genned up on electrickery either, so I was pleased to be taught, only this year, that on lower voltage systems, (up to about 30 or 40),  only use braided cable and not single strand. Apparently, current will follow the path with the least resistance, which is the surface of the cable, not through the central core. So braided cable with a host of strands offers the least resistance.I don't know much about the TL125, but I think on some of the earlier Hondas, it was not too much of a job to convert them to 12 volt. Have fun. Mike.
Title: Re: Wiring connectors, what size are Honda?
Post by: neat street on August 31, 2025, 08:25:46 AM
Contact Big Al on here, he will do the right connectors for you, at least then you know you have the right size.
Title: Re: Wiring connectors, what size are Honda?
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on August 31, 2025, 09:05:13 AM
If you have an original bullet connector I would have thought you could put some calipers on it Dave?

Clearly not 🤐
Title: Re: Wiring connectors, what size are Honda?
Post by: Bryanj on August 31, 2025, 09:14:46 AM
76 is not classed as early, before the 750(1909) some are smaller and as said NO to smaller cable, half the volts doubles the current so bigger xable
Title: Re: Wiring connectors, what size are Honda?
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on August 31, 2025, 11:54:43 AM
The surface effect only works on AC circuits and then only very high frequency AC. So on DC and normal household wiring the effect is minimal.

Multicore wire is more flexible though so that’s the reason to use it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Wiring connectors, what size are Honda?
Post by: BigAl (Alan) on August 31, 2025, 01:00:42 PM
The electrical connectors on the 1970's models would have had 3.9mm bullet & socket connectors & possibly 6.3mm latched block connectors (for additional lighting)
The early 1980's models where fitted with 2.8mm latched block connectors.
Cable size 1.00mm...nothing smaller
Title: Re: Wiring connectors, what size are Honda?
Post by: mickwinf on August 31, 2025, 10:16:22 PM
I beg to differ from big al but most 70s honda used 3.5 mm and 3.9 don't always connect with original looms.
Title: Re: Wiring connectors, what size are Honda?
Post by: Laverda Dave on August 31, 2025, 10:32:56 PM
Thank you all for the responses.
I did ask BigAl previously if he made looms for the TL125 but unfortunately he doesn't but he did give me a helpful tip to use Vehicle Wiring Products to buy the connectors. I have just placed the order for £50 worth of cable and connectors. Shame they dont stock the rubber boots used to cover the multiple connectors of the loom around the headstock area (normally sitiing under the fuel tank.
I hope they are 3.9 and not 3.5 othherwise I'll be sending them back!
Hopefully I'll begin modifying the loom this week.
Title: Re: Wiring connectors, what size are Honda?
Post by: mickwinf on September 01, 2025, 08:15:44 AM
If you are replacing both male an female connectors together then no problem.
Title: Re: Wiring connectors, what size are Honda?
Post by: BigAl (Alan) on September 01, 2025, 12:02:20 PM
Pity no one stocks the connector boots (black dip-moulded pvc covers) they are expensive to have manufactured
Please Note - Vehicle wiring products do not stock the replica OE latched 6.3mm connectors for classic Honda's
Title: Re: Wiring connectors, what size are Honda?
Post by: Laverda Dave on September 01, 2025, 07:08:11 PM
That's similar to what I am after Al except the one I want is the round one to go over the loom at the bullet connectors (similar to the 400/4). I need 15mm diameter at one end and 40mmat the other.
Title: Re: Wiring connectors, what size are Honda?
Post by: BigAl (Alan) on September 01, 2025, 08:27:32 PM
Image attached, the LHS cover is 20mm @ the top & 50mm @ the bottom
RHS cover is 12mm @ the top & 32mm @ the bottom
Title: Re: Wiring connectors, what size are Honda?
Post by: Laverda Dave on September 01, 2025, 11:01:52 PM
That's what I need Al🙂. Do you sell these, I'll take one of each please if you do👍
Title: Re: Wiring connectors, what size are Honda?
Post by: BigAl (Alan) on September 02, 2025, 09:38:35 AM
Just send a PM, I can then  let you know the cost & PayPal details