Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: David_N on September 01, 2025, 09:37:31 AM

Title: Tyres
Post by: David_N on September 01, 2025, 09:37:31 AM
I'll soon be reaching a point where I'll be wanting to road test my 550k 4.

The front tyre is a brand new ContiGo 3.25 - 19 while the rear is a knackered 120/90 18 Cheng-Shen

Can someone please advise me on what tyre size the bike should have to match the front? I don't think there's any point throwing a perfectly good front tyre in the bin.

Thanks
Title: Re: Tyres
Post by: Johnwebley on September 01, 2025, 09:56:59 AM
The size should be 3.50 x 18,

But they are difficult to get

I fit 4.00 x 18

At present have a Bridgestone BT46,

it suits me

Sent from my SM-A546E using Tapatalk

Title: Re: Tyres
Post by: Bryanj on September 01, 2025, 10:56:32 AM
As John says 3.50 x 18 but if you cant get that 4.00 x 18 Conti K112 i think
Title: Re: Tyres
Post by: exvalvesetdabbler on September 01, 2025, 11:41:39 AM
Dunlop k82 is still available in 350-18, Has a similar tread pattern to the old tt100.

Regards
Dave
Title: Re: Tyres
Post by: Bryanj on September 01, 2025, 01:56:40 PM
Ah the TT 100 3.5x18 is equivalent to the English 3.25x18, you need the 4.10x18 to be same as English 3.50x18.

Confusing i know but every person in a dealers was rammed with the info when the TT 100 came out
Title: Re: Tyres
Post by: David_N on September 01, 2025, 01:59:05 PM
Will these suggestions be okay to mix with the continental contigo that's goes to the front?
Title: Re: Tyres
Post by: Bryanj on September 01, 2025, 02:03:33 PM
Personally i wouldnt i would get a conti
Title: Re: Tyres
Post by: Johnwebley on September 01, 2025, 02:03:42 PM
Will these suggestions be okay to mix with the continental contigo that's goes to the front?
I wouldn't fit a TT100 ,they were reputed to have a triangular profile,

Could cause issues

Fit a standard rounded profile tyre

The BT46 or Conti should work

Sent from my SM-A546E using Tapatalk

Title: Re: Tyres
Post by: Bryanj on September 01, 2025, 02:07:03 PM
100/90x18 is euivalent
Title: Re: Tyres
Post by: flatfour on September 01, 2025, 03:05:31 PM
I've bought a good few Honda 500's both new and used, and always fitted TT100's to them, as I have with the Benelli Sei and the CB750's. They're standard fit on the Trident, too.

To me, they are the perfect tyre, except for wear rate, which can often seem a little high. I usually manage around 4000 miles from a rear, and more from a front tyre. I've ridden friends bikes of the same type as mine fitted with modern tyres that appear to have a lower profile, and they just feel odd, perhaps because of my familiarity with TT100's.

When I was buying new in the 1970's, the dealer that I used most would always recommend a change to TT100 tyres, always 4:10 front and rear, although the 3:60 was available for the front, even then.

Perhaps it's just a habit that's stayed with me ever since, but I've never seen the need to move away from them?
Title: Re: Tyres
Post by: exvalvesetdabbler on September 01, 2025, 05:51:47 PM
Just enter your bike type here and see what comes out

https://www.dunlop.eu/en_gb/motorcycle.html#/tire-finders/find-by/vehicle/MotorCycle