Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: SandyRob on September 04, 2025, 08:56:24 AM
-
Hi, I am having trouble with my advance retard mechanism, it is a nd and nd points plate system, I have a Tec advance retard mech, so my question is will the tec adv/ret work with the nd points plate? or do I need a Tec points plate, if so will the points and condensers from my nd plate fit the Tec plate?
Phew!
Rob. Honda CB400 Four 1978.
-
When I removed the e-ignition on my 400F to reinstall OEM points I was TOLD that you have to match the advance unit and points plate. IOW, they both have to be either TEC OR ND. I can't verify that this is really true - maybe someone here can - but I had an ND advance unit so I bought an ND plate/points.
Frankly, as long as the advance cam can successfully contact the points' rubbing block and still allow proper gap adjustment, I don't see what difference it would make but I didn't want to find out the hard way and have to buy another points plate...
-
As both are available seperately you should be able to fit any advance unit with any points plate, to the best of my knowledge all the sohc fours use the same points plate.
Parts from the different advancers will not interchange
-
IIRC if you use the DS electronic ignition on a 400 there are two different versions depending if your advancer is ND or TEC.
The reason for this is the boss for the advancer is a different size fitting so the rotor will not fit.
-
AH! THAT (re DSS E-ignition/advance unit) is what I was told and I mis-remembered it being about the points ignition!!! Sorry, Sandy!!
-
hHi, thanks for the replies, got it sorted now, the pin on the back of the advance retard mechanism was loose, I also reset the float heights and it goes alot better. Thanks everyone.