Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => Other Bikes => Topic started by: TrickyMicky on September 09, 2025, 07:49:06 AM
-
Greetings one and all. For my sins I own a GB250 Clubman, and I'm trying to find a pair of clear front indicator lenses. The original wiring is such that when the lights are switched on, the front indicators illuminate using the 5 watt filament of a 5/21 bulb. When using the direction indicator, the 5 watt filament is extinguished whilst the 21 watt part is active. At the moment I am using LED bulbs which show white for the 5 watt part, and orange for the 21 watt, so clear lenses would be ideal. I will attempt to add photo of a bike which I saw somehere. I know this may be a shot in the dark(sic). Mike.[attach=1]
-
PS to above post, this is my bike, and I do not want to change the style of indicator.
-
Lovely bike Micky.
Have you tried the Japanese equivalent of our eBay, I think it's called Yahoo (somebody may be along soon with some better details). I do know you need to have a VPN installed on your PC and you log in from Japan using the VPN. Considering our own eBay is full of people selling indicators you may be lucky and get the ones you need using this method.
Good luck finding them.
Dave
-
I was told years ago at an sva test that front running lights were not legal in uk and had to be disconnected, i take it your bike is an import but not by Honda
-
And now DTRLs are mandatory!
-
DTRL ?
-
Day Time Running Lights on cars etc.
-
Dont think bikes are in that and when i built a kit car it was a law but by time i finished it wasnt so didnt fit them, just googled
Yes, Daytime Running Lamps (DRLs) are mandatory for all new passenger cars and light commercial vehicles sold in the UK and Europe, as they were required by European legislation from February 2011. Older vehicles do not have to be retrofitted, and the requirement does not currently apply to motorcycles, buses, or lorries. DRLs turn on automatically when the engine starts to increase visibility and are not a substitute for headlights in poor light conditions.
-
By the number of bikes with lights on in daylight I assumed bikes had them now.
-
I think most riders just turn them on anyway, i remember when rear fog lamps became mandatory and it took months to be certain bikes were not in the law, 7 days before the Singl Vehicle Aproval became law no government agency could tell me if an imported bike had to undergo one, i got one mot'd and paperwork sent in for reg with 2 working days to spare! Then found out didnt need sva on bikes
-
Tricky Micky,
Many years ago I made a pair of clear lenses for interior lights using amber side repeaters off a Jag. I used dental plaster to make a two part mould from the amber lens and then used clear casting resin to make the lenses. I'm sure there will be a You Tube clip of someone doing the same sort of thing these days.
Bryan - my 2023 Honda Forza 350 has permanently lit DRLs and low power orange LEDs in the indicators which go out when the higher powered indicators are on and there is no light switch - so if it's not law yet, you can bet it soon will be. It's a UK, home market bike from a Honda dealer - not a grey import.
Ian
-
Thanks Ian. Regarding your Forza's lighting system, this could also be economies of scale on the manufacturing front. For many years now, American market models have had the system you speak of. Just over 3 years ago, I partially restored a CL 160 USA import, it was a 1966 model. The only electrical controls it possessed were a dipswitch and a horn button, lights on all the time. The 350 engine size has always been a firm favourite in the States, whereas over here, we passed out test on a 250, or less, then wanted something of at least 500cc. My GB250 is a little similar, but does have the luxury of a conventional light switch. The system of modern vehicles having automatic this, that, and the other, has led to a breed of driver who is not required to think, and just becomes a numpty steering attendant.
-
I am going from the imports i registered and had to mot for registration before rolling historic came back, mot man said no front running lights, might have been because they were orange come to think of it, easy fix just disconnect two wire in headlamp shell
-
It's a UK, home market bike from a Honda dealer - not a grey import.
Having just said that, you can't see very much out of the mirrors - it was designed for slightly built Asian folk (can I say that?) riding in T shirts and no bulky jackets.
Ian
-
All bikes over 125 size have dip headlight permanently on. This is from about 2003 iirc.
-
Has to be manufacturers choice as not requied legaly
-
Has to be manufacturers choice as not requied legaly
You learn something everyday. I thought it was law but it was a manufacturers safety initiative in 2003.