Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: Ken4004 on October 03, 2025, 03:59:34 PM

Title: Cb 400 f tool tray
Post by: Ken4004 on October 03, 2025, 03:59:34 PM
Hi everyone, just looking at getting some cb 400 f tool trays 3d printed would anybody be interested if so let me know.
I am going to get one made up so you can see the finish etc.
Title: Re: Cb 400 f tool tray
Post by: Athame57 on October 03, 2025, 10:02:42 PM
I'd rather you were doing the Fuel tank rear mounting rubber (17613377000).  By the time DSS spares has added delivery it costs £45.oo  :o I might try to repair mine, I can't find a cheaper option.  ::)
Title: Re: Cb 400 f tool tray
Post by: Ken4004 on October 04, 2025, 10:04:16 AM
I have not heard of 3D printing of rubber items but I will do some research, as you say some of the prices of some items are ridiculous.
Title: Re: Cb 400 f tool tray
Post by: TrickyMicky on October 04, 2025, 10:15:43 AM
Don't forget that you are talking about an original Honda part that has been on the shelf since new.  A new CB400f in 1976 was around £700, if one was discovered in tha back of a dealers unsold today, how much do you think it would sell for?  Stock sitting on a shelf is not money in the bank.
Title: Re: Cb 400 f tool tray
Post by: Ken4004 on October 04, 2025, 12:03:22 PM
Ok I have done the research and you cannot 3d print rubber as I suspected but there are small injection moulding companies that do small runs but obviously you would need to get the injection mould manufactured which is the expensive bit but once that is manufactured the cost of the individual items will be fairly reasonable I would think.

So it just depends on how many you have manufactured so let’s say a mould costs £500 one off cost  ( just my guess) then this cost would obviously be divided by the qty required let’s say 100 so £5 each plus materials and time but I would have thought that you could probably get a part made for around £15 would be my guess .

There is a small company in Oxford when I get a minute I will make an enquiry, really is just depends on demand to see if it’s cost effective to get them made.
Title: Re: Cb 400 f tool tray
Post by: Ken4004 on October 04, 2025, 01:08:29 PM
With regards to repairs to rubber I did repair the rubber holder of my flasher unit using an old inner tube as a patch and just using the glue from a bicycle puncture repair kit and it is holding up very well.

I would think you could make a replacement rear fuel tank rubber by using thin strips of rubber bonded together.
If it’s done in layers like a sandwich I am sure you could manufacture one without too much trouble and bond it together using vulcanised rubber glue just a thought and well worth a try, it might not look pretty but you won’t see it any away.