Honda-SOHC

General => New Member Introductions => Topic started by: George Lefeurve on October 04, 2025, 08:43:54 PM

Title: Hello from Falmouth - Cornwall..
Post by: George Lefeurve on October 04, 2025, 08:43:54 PM
Well.. I'll introduce myself, although I'll keep my head down just in case.. I've been a Kawasaki man most of my life  ;D
 
However, I did ride a Honda 50 for a while back in the day.. Haha. I'm talking way back too.. the 60s, yes I'm that ancient! Those days were sprinkled with various makes of bike, BSA's and Triumphs mainly, a flirtation with Lambretta scooters, I crossed over and became a MOD, and from then on a mélange of small Kwackers, trials as we used to call them, and then onto the bigger stuff.. 900's - 1000's - 1100's. My last big Z being a KZ1100 Ltd which I reluctantly sold a few years back.

So what brings me to this watering hole in my sunset years, you may ask. No point in beating about the bush, I'm in the process of buying a beautiful 1980 CB650 Custom, and I'm absolutely thrilled. Can't wait to get to know her, riding and tinkering. Although I'm very handy on the tools, this new bike is going to be a steep learning curve for me, so no doubt I'll be on here picking brains a fair bit.

Many thanks for hearing me out.. cheers for now..
Title: Re: Hello from Falmouth - Cornwall..
Post by: Nurse Julie on October 04, 2025, 08:56:05 PM
Welcome to the forum George.
Title: Re: Hello from Falmouth - Cornwall..
Post by: Laverda Dave on October 04, 2025, 09:18:57 PM
Welcome to the forum George, you'll enjoy it here, lots of advice just a question away.
Post a photo when you can of the bike, we like a photo👍.
Dave
Title: Re: Hello from Falmouth - Cornwall..
Post by: George Lefeurve on October 04, 2025, 09:50:29 PM
Welcome to the forum George.

Many thanks Julie, its nice to be here..
Title: Re: Hello from Falmouth - Cornwall..
Post by: George Lefeurve on October 04, 2025, 09:54:55 PM
Welcome to the forum George, you'll enjoy it here, lots of advice just a question away.
Post a photo when you can of the bike, we like a photo👍.
Dave

Many thanks Dave.. you can be sure I'll be questioning, and will most definitely post some photos when I get organised..
Title: Re: Hello from Falmouth - Cornwall..
Post by: Athame57 on October 04, 2025, 11:16:31 PM
Welcome to the forum George, I'm a George myself lol!  ;D
Title: Re: Hello from Falmouth - Cornwall..
Post by: Bryanj on October 05, 2025, 12:17:15 AM
650 custom, one of last and uncommon fours, some parts are difficult to get especially bodywork, change oil and filter every 1500 miles and it will last a long time
Title: Re: Hello from Falmouth - Cornwall..
Post by: neat street on October 05, 2025, 08:06:22 AM
Welcome to the forum, lots af very helpful people on here to help and bring some light to a problem.
Title: Re: Hello from Falmouth - Cornwall..
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on October 05, 2025, 02:02:42 PM
Welcome to the Forum George, I started my 2 wheel adventures on a NSU Quickly, then a raft of Scooters, best one was my Maico Letta 250cc Scooter, soon followed by Ariels, Triumph, then a couple of 250 Hondas from the 1960's.



Title: Re: Hello from Falmouth - Cornwall..
Post by: George Lefeurve on October 05, 2025, 03:03:18 PM
Many thanks to everybody that's made me welcome. Its good to know I'm amongst like minded people..

I must ask though.. I continually get stopped posting because I keep getting the verification question wrong. Question : What month is this ? my answer October! WRONG!! I have to keep refreshing the page to get another question. Are we talking trick questions here, or some Honda event that I'm obviously unaware of ? The only question I get right is Where were the SOHC/4 motorcycles made?: Just finding it a bit frustrating and somewhat unnecessary.. thank you..
Title: Re: Hello from Falmouth - Cornwall..
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on October 05, 2025, 03:05:08 PM
Sorry George. All my fault.

<5 posts requires validation to stop spammers.

I also always forget to change the answer in the database.

Just post once more and you’ll be done with it.

Steve


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Hello from Falmouth - Cornwall..
Post by: George Lefeurve on October 05, 2025, 03:20:48 PM
Sorry George. All my fault.

<5 posts requires validation to stop spammers.

I also always forget to change the answer in the database.

Just post once more and you’ll be done with it.

Steve

Thanks for that Steve.. I thought I was going mad.. and I could have sworn we're in October < ;DHaha..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Hello from Falmouth - Cornwall..
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on October 05, 2025, 03:57:19 PM
Just changed it.
The answer was July


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Hello from Falmouth - Cornwall..
Post by: Eldrick on October 05, 2025, 06:30:03 PM
Welcome, and maybe see you around West Cornwall too.
Title: Re: Hello from Falmouth - Cornwall..
Post by: andy120t on October 05, 2025, 06:45:17 PM
Welcome aboard!
Title: Re: Hello from Falmouth - Cornwall..
Post by: George Lefeurve on October 05, 2025, 10:51:03 PM
Thank you for your welcomes Eldrick and Andy.. much appreciated.

I'll be sure to keep an eye open for your red 1975 Honda CB400f if I'm down your way Eldrick..
Title: Re: Hello from Falmouth - Cornwall..
Post by: Sifu on October 17, 2025, 03:17:26 PM
Welcome
Title: Re: Hello from Falmouth - Cornwall..
Post by: Ken4004 on October 17, 2025, 06:57:07 PM
Welcome George , I am a relatively new member and I have been given lots of advice and all my questions have been answered by the more experienced members, I am sure you will gets lots of support from this group and good luck with your motor cycle .
Title: Re: Hello from Falmouth - Cornwall..
Post by: Murf on October 21, 2025, 11:28:42 PM
Welcome George,
it’s a great forum lots of info and help plus amazingly friendly, I’m  sure you will enjoy.
Title: Re: Hello from Falmouth - Cornwall..
Post by: George Lefeurve on October 23, 2025, 01:51:40 AM
Again.. thanks all for the warm welcome.

I've got the bike back home now after a long pick up journey. As always you can never take everything in when buying a bike, especially after you've been driving for seven hours towing a trailer. There's definitely stuff to sort out.. carbs are flooding for a start. Looks like an oil leak on the LH side of the cylinder head and another in the oil pump / gear shift area. Chain and sprockets are shot. Have managed to sort the ignition switch out though as that was playing up.

Overall though the bike is pretty tidy as is, but with some TLC and plenty of elbow grease I'm sure she'll be a head turner come springtime next year..

All the best.. George..
Title: Re: Hello from Falmouth - Cornwall..
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on October 23, 2025, 08:56:00 AM
Be good to see your work as a resto project with photos of your progress.
Title: Re: Hello from Falmouth - Cornwall..
Post by: George Lefeurve on October 23, 2025, 07:21:49 PM
Be good to see your work as a resto project with photos of your progress.

Will definitely keep the forum posted Ted. Off to France for a couple of months, so work is not going to start until the New Year.

Here's a shot of the bike safely back home in Cornwall to give people a taster..  :) haha

[attachimg=1]
Title: Re: Hello from Falmouth - Cornwall..
Post by: Orcade-Ian on October 23, 2025, 08:15:27 PM
I'm a bit late to the party but welcome George - from t'other end of these Isles!
That's a lovely looking bike to start with - all of the bits you mention will be fairly easy to sort (except perhaps the carbs). I have 350, 400 and 550 fours and I wish Honda had left a bit more room to get the carbs in and out!  Hope yours are a bit easier.  I think Nurse Julie has all of the oil pump seals - worth asking her.  I imagine BryanJ will know the inns and outs of the 650 motor - it's a bit rarer on this forum.

Ian
Title: Re: Hello from Falmouth - Cornwall..
Post by: Laverda Dave on October 23, 2025, 08:58:55 PM
That's a good looking bike you have there. Although an old engine design I think it works really well in the frame and the comstar wheels really suit it. Happy fettling 👍
Title: Re: Hello from Falmouth - Cornwall..
Post by: George Lefeurve on October 23, 2025, 11:10:59 PM
Thank you both.. Ian and Dave..

I'm keeping my fingers crossed I don't come across too many nasties that haven't shown themselves so far. The carbs are the unknown at the moment. They'll have to come out, and yes its a tight job apparently. I've ordered a carb rebuild kit from Japan at a very keen price, so if there are no cracked castings I should be able to sort them. There's not much on setting up procedures to be had, although I have managed to get hold of a Haynes service manual for the Honda CB650 Fours.

Apparently the carbs fitted to this bike.. Keihin 50B's, are unique to this bike and a rarity, so I'm really hoping nothing is broken. As I mentioned above, cracked castings, where previous owners have over tightened the float drain screws in their tapered seats. Two carbs are leaking past those screws at the moment with a head of fuel in the tank. Still.. I'll no doubt overcome.. whatever the problem.

All the best.. George..  :)
Title: Re: Hello from Falmouth - Cornwall..
Post by: Laverda Dave on October 24, 2025, 10:52:02 AM
George, a tip and as has been discused many times on here regarding carb rebuild kits, if you can, keep the original brasswear and refit after cleaning and measuring (no wear steps on the needle and no ridges on the fuel inlet valve (use a strong magnifying glass to check)). I clean brass jets etc in clock cleaning fluid for a few minutes to soften up any crud followed by a rinse and a cycle in the ultrasonic cleaner using specific carb cleaning fluid available from Allendale and distilled water.
The brassware often supplied in carb rebuild kits can be a bit hit and miss. If your jets have a makers stamp on them and are in good condition after a clean I would reuse them.
Title: Re: Hello from Falmouth - Cornwall..
Post by: Johnny4428 on October 24, 2025, 11:29:03 AM
Hi George and welcome to the forum, bit late to the table here too but had to spend a bit of time soaking up some late sunshine in the Algarve!😜 That is a pretty tidy looking bike with reasonable looking chrome. Would imagine the 650 pretty much is a bored out 550 but not familiar at all with it.
Good luck and looking forward to updates on your project.
Title: Re: Hello from Falmouth - Cornwall..
Post by: George Lefeurve on October 24, 2025, 01:39:50 PM
George, a tip and as has been discused many times on here regarding carb rebuild kits, if you can, keep the original brasswear and refit after cleaning and measuring (no wear steps on the needle and no ridges on the fuel inlet valve (use a strong magnifying glass to check)). I clean brass jets etc in clock cleaning fluid for a few minutes to soften up any crud followed by a rinse and a cycle in the ultrasonic cleaner using specific carb cleaning fluid available from Allendale and distilled water.
The brassware often supplied in carb rebuild kits can be a bit hit and miss. If your jets have a makers stamp on them and are in good condition after a clean I would reuse them.

Thanks for that tip Dave, I'll bear it in mind when I get to strip the carbs..

Hi George and welcome to the forum, bit late to the table here too but had to spend a bit of time soaking up some late sunshine in the Algarve!😜 That is a pretty tidy looking bike with reasonable looking chrome. Would imagine the 650 pretty much is a bored out 550 but not familiar at all with it.
Good luck and looking forward to updates on your project.

Thanks Johnny.. Ah the Algarve.. I know it well..  :)
As for the 650 motor, I'm an ex Kwacker guy so I've a lot to learn, familiarise myself with Honda wise. It is a SOHC though, hence my joining the forum..
Title: Re: Hello from Falmouth - Cornwall..
Post by: Outrunner on November 05, 2025, 07:30:00 PM
Hi George, I grew up a little further west of you, nr Helston.