Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: Piki on October 21, 2025, 12:59:05 PM

Title: 400 Four Clocks Color
Post by: Piki on October 21, 2025, 12:59:05 PM
Hello everyone, a question for the experts in the group...what color did the 400 Four clocks come in when they left the factory? Matte, Satin Black or Glossy Black?
Thank you in advance.
Title: Re: 400 Four Clocks Color
Post by: exvalvesetdabbler on October 21, 2025, 03:13:08 PM
My best estimate is satin. Definitely not gloss.

Probably baked on, modern paint stripper doesn't soften it.

All the cases I have stripped there had been zinc plate underneath so be cautious if using alkyd resin paint.

[attachimg=1]

On the left OEM finish, simoniz tough black satin on the right.

I used an epoxy primer as the first coat as a barrier to keep the zinc away from the top coat.  Only time will tell how durable this will be.


Regards
Dave
Title: Re: 400 Four Clocks Color
Post by: Piki on October 27, 2025, 09:39:08 AM
Thank you mate!
Title: Re: 400 Four Clocks Color
Post by: Athame57 on October 27, 2025, 12:16:48 PM
My pattern clocks are satin. They replaced clocks of doubtful vintage that I had first got painted gloss ( complete with runs) they looked aweful garish, that is aweful. Go for satin I'm sure it is measnt to be so.