Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: florence on December 11, 2025, 01:15:14 PM

Title: Float bowl drain screws
Post by: florence on December 11, 2025, 01:15:14 PM
Does anyone know where we can get spare brass screws that go into the float bowl to allow fuel to be drained?  Yesterday my bike was being annoying and misfiring on one cylinder.  I decided to drain the carbs because even with E5, moisture can be present in the float bowls when left too long without running.  The draining procedure worked and when I went to town today it was running perfectly.  I did note, however, the drain screws are quite chewed on my bike and next time I'm doing some maintenance it might be sensible to fit new ones.
Title: Re: Float bowl drain screws
Post by: DomP on December 11, 2025, 01:54:42 PM
https://ebay.us/m/WMMSPT

Expensive but new
Title: Re: Float bowl drain screws
Post by: florence on December 11, 2025, 02:30:06 PM
thank you
Title: Re: Float bowl drain screws
Post by: exvalvesetdabbler on December 12, 2025, 11:55:39 AM
Try https://nrp-carbs.co.uk/

Title: Re: Float bowl drain screws
Post by: Bryanj on December 12, 2025, 06:51:03 PM
I though nrp had stopped trading
Title: Re: Float bowl drain screws
Post by: Murf on December 13, 2025, 01:48:26 AM
After many tries I did manage to get through on the phone to them at the beginning of the year, I was after some Keihin carb jets, which they didn’t have and wouldn’t be getting. I seem to remember that the guy on the phone did not seem very interested.
Title: Re: Float bowl drain screws
Post by: DomP on December 13, 2025, 05:40:20 PM
Im sure it was NRP that i spoke to about resetting my xs650b for its pod filters, its missing the entire filter setup and replacements are near impossible to find for a 1975 and elements if available are extortionate.  The guy seemed reluctant to help insisting I was wasting my time. 
Title: Re: Float bowl drain screws
Post by: Seabeowner on December 13, 2025, 07:32:59 PM
I use a screw with clear tube attached to check fuel height that was sold for a z650, so their thread is the same. And probably others.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/305867222628
Title: Re: Float bowl drain screws
Post by: DomP on December 13, 2025, 08:10:04 PM
Out of interest what pitch is the tread on these?
Title: Re: Float bowl drain screws
Post by: Bloggs on December 13, 2025, 08:46:42 PM
I think it's M6 fine thread. 6 x 0.75
I'll check tomorrow,  I did draw up the screws.
I made replacements with 12mm hex heads and a screwdriver slot. The slots always get damaged so a hex head helps.
Title: Re: Float bowl drain screws
Post by: Bloggs on December 14, 2025, 05:50:02 PM
Just check my drawing. The threads are M6 Fine, screw has a 12mm diameter head, total length 11mm.
Title: Re: Float bowl drain screws
Post by: exvalvesetdabbler on December 14, 2025, 06:00:48 PM
[attach=1]

Will these do?  found on Aliexpress

Dave
Title: Re: Float bowl drain screws
Post by: DomP on December 14, 2025, 06:55:29 PM
Ive been trying to find m6 x 0.75 barbed brass hose tails to use to check fuel levels but they seem to all be m6 x 1mm
Title: Re: Float bowl drain screws
Post by: JezzaPeach on December 31, 2025, 02:50:36 PM
Seabeowner, is the height measure screw/tube available somewhere? I did try to make one but not well. I also found that despite very careful measuring (the 22mm) my floats were too high and sucking in excess fuel, ‘soggy’ when blipping down also when idling causing stalling. I lowered them slightly and now she’s running better than ever.
Title: Re: Float bowl drain screws
Post by: Seabeowner on January 01, 2026, 07:17:53 PM
Jezza, I got mine from my BIL that he bought for his Z650. Can't find any listed anywhere exactly like it but found these on the bay that may do if you can get them sealed with an O ring.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353959718217

No just looked again the only do M6 x 1.0 so no go. Keep looking.
Title: Re: Float bowl drain screws
Post by: Seabeowner on January 01, 2026, 07:55:46 PM
Seems unobtainable even looking fpr barbs, adapters, what have you.
You could try buying a bigger fitting and a die. But a pain.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/157439372682
Title: Re: Float bowl drain screws
Post by: Rayzerman on January 03, 2026, 12:40:22 AM
My original drain screws were a bit chewed up from previous owners, so I bought a new afermarket set..... then I drilled the old ones just big enough for a plastic straw to go through for a real snug fit (in other words, I didn't use any glue or epoxy, maybe you should).... then I slipped silicone clear tubing onto them and used them as my clear tube tools.  I could not find 6x0.75 adapters either, so used what I had.