Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: Bradders on January 09, 2026, 04:59:01 PM
-
Afternoon all. Took my front wheel off today but on replacing it one of studs seems to have a stripped thread. Was wondering how difficult it will be to replace and where’s the best place to buy them from. Regards.
-
If there is any useable thread left you can run a die down the stud to recut the thread and then use two nut locked together to remove the stud.
The fork is probably held in with some form of loctite, these loctites are extremely strong bonds until heat is applied so the best course of action is to heat the forks not the stud with a hot air gun and then you should be able to remove the stud using the two nuts locked together.
I would think a new stud should be fairly easy to acquire on line.
-
Just looked on line looks like CMSNL.com have these studs with giving them a call, look like M8 studs similar to the exhaust studs just a bit of a longer thread.
-
Thanks for your reply Ken. It gets worse, just tried to get the nut off and it just goes round and round doing nothing! So frustrating!
-
Remove the other nut, put a screwdriver in the slot by the stripped one, lever the cap off whilst turning the nut, it should pick up the thread and undo
-
Thanks Bryan, I’ll give it a try.
-
If it doesnt work you will need to split the nut to get it off
-
Cheers Bryan. I had the hacksaw at it this afternoon but couldn’t get at it. I will try your idea tomorrow.
-
Bryan, your suggestion did the trick. Thanks very much.
-
Old school mate, all you need now is the stud out and a new one, mole grips or stillsons to remove as thread is too knackered for double nut
-
Thanks Bryan. I would never of thought of doing it that way. Should I be able to do the job without dismantling the forks. When I put the new one in should I lock tight it in?
-
No need to dismantle, personally i wouldnt locktite, you may need to take it out sometime!.
The hole is a blind hole so nothing should leak
-
Thanks Bryan for the info.
-
As Bryan says, but it may already have some sort of thread lock in there so do not be surprised if it needs warming a little, when putting the new stud in apply a little threadlock on it, not arraldite or the likes of, the threadlock ensures the stud stays without being solidly glued in if you have to remove nut again.
-
Thanks Kevski, sounds like a plan.
-
You can get those studs from DSS, a lot cheaper than CMSL :
https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/by-part-number/hpart_92700080503B
-
You can get those studs from DSS, a lot cheaper than CMSL :
https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/by-part-number/hpart_92700080503B
Morning Athame57, thanks for letting me know, I ordered a couple yesterday from Silvers and even managed to get the old one out with a bit of heat and not too much difficulty. 🙂