Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: florence on December 19, 2010, 03:01:03 PM
-
Just to say that due to the recent cold spell my bike has been standing idle for about a month now. I started it and engaged first gear to move it and there was quite a snatch from the clutch the first time as the plates had started to bind. It just goes to show that regular running is really worthwhile, if it had been standing much longer the clutch may completely have bound up meaning a strip down to free it. Luckily, however, the engine started perfectly.
-
Usually rocking them back and forward in gear, engine off, clutch pulled gets the plates to unstick if they've been sitting around for a while.
Was out on my CBX750 friday and got caught in the snow, bit tricky getting back as roads where covered but was wearing flares!! so all ok, just like in the eighties.
Battery has trouble in this cold to start it though sometimes a bump is required then ok as it's warmed up.
-
I put a brand new tyre on the front of my (black) 500 last April. I left it on the sidestand in the barn over the summer but when I took it out in Sept it was exhibiting a severe front wheel wobble.
The tyre had deformed in the heat of July/Aug in the barn and is now
-
Usually rocking them back and forward in gear, engine off, clutch pulled gets the plates to unstick if they've been sitting around for a while.
Was out on my CBX750 friday and got caught in the snow, bit tricky getting back as roads where covered but was wearing flares!! so all ok, just like in the eighties.
Battery has trouble in this cold to start it though sometimes a bump is required then ok as it's warmed up.
I am sure I have seen a Government information film advocating the wearing of flares on motorcycles. In fact, it was a legal requirement at one point.
There's so much snow today I'm not even contemplating taking the Land Rover out.
-
Along with metalflake paint on customised veee-hicles, and go to work on an egg information short films!!
Think the flares added something to bike stability of the period, they may have been testing them at the TRRL (just round the corner from you steveD) before the great leg shield fiasco ;)
Mmmmm women in flared jeans.............. and cap sleeve T shirts, but that's another story altogether.
-
Seventies motorcycle design also took into account the "Watneys Party Seven Effect", becoming more and more stable the more one consumed.
-
Assuming that you could:
a) open the bloody thing (I remember using screwdrivers)
b) get the "beer" out once you'd pierced it
-
... and even if you could it tasted disgusting.
-
Course it did it was Watneys!!!