Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: DomP on January 24, 2026, 09:00:54 PM
-
While having a tidy up I've found a spring! My heart sank when I saw it as I recognised it straight away, im sure its part 18 in the below parts diagram. Now since the rebuild I've ridden my 550 a few times and not noticed gear change problems so I'm wondering if it came on a spare gear shift shaft I bought, can anyone confirm if omitting it would definitely cause shift problems?
-
It's the return spring Dom.
-
If that was missing the gear lever would flop down all the time
-
Thank God for that then! I think it came on a spare i got to replace the original that had damaged splines, thanks Julie/Bryan
-
I had the same horrid feeling after rebuilding hte top end of hte Triumph motor. Found a rocker shaft shim on the floor. These things are an absolute devil to get into place, with springs, spacers, shims etc. all under tension in various directions as you try and get the shaft through it all in the confines of the rocker box. I tore it all apart before I realised it was a spare off a shaft set I had been using as a reference for the part order.
-
How about just finishing a morgo conversion on a 1961 Bonnie, turning round and seeing 2 piston circlips on top of the gatepost!
-
yikes!
-
You would not be a happy puppy.