Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: Murf on January 25, 2026, 02:29:09 PM
-
Hi can anyone tell me why there are so many anti vibration rubber grommets on the front mudguard/fender of the 550, and if they strictly necessary. Looking at the parts books it seems that the 500 did not have them.
Thanks
I ask the question as I am just putting the mudguard back on the bike and of course the original anti vibe washers are knackered. New one are around £5 each from DS which seems steep and I am struggling to find any other replacement ones. I did get some on eBay but they were too thick and my plan the trim them down did not go well.
They are the same as the chain case ones and are called chain case washers in the parts manual.
-
If they are like the ones on the UK CB250K0 ..I made a 3d printed mould and cast some in black polyurethane.
These are the Honda originals and yea they are bl**dy expensive NOS if you can find 'em.
[attachimg=1]
If it's these 40513-310-000 they are £3.13 inc VAT from D.S.
-
Just an observation but if you bought a standard grommet for a thick wall bulkhead and cut it down the middle would that give you a useable alternative ? Please see photo attached.
The are literally hundreds of different sizes on the internet I am sure one of these could be modified to get what you need.
-
I make them out of old inner tubes.
-
Thanks for the replies.
Ash, thanks for the part number, they are not the ones in the photo you posted but are the 50413 -310 ones. I looked on The DS site today and they do not have these listed on the 550K1 parts page but a part number search showed they did have them in stock so I bit the bullet and ordered 4. A bit expensive for what they are but now I can get on and fit the mudguard and front wheel and make progress.
I really struggled to find any else where, though they are common type things so they must be around some where.
Ken I did find some slightly bigger ones on eBay which were quite cheap, I thought I would alter them to suit and after my successful arts and crafts repair to the crumbling plastic on my horn I was pretty confident. Well I spent hours in the cold garage sawing, cutting and filing them, I thought I had it cracked but when I fitted them they looked rubbish. I gave up and went in and managed to make a far better job of drinking some Rum to help me warm up.
Florence, I like your idea of using old inner tube rubber and can see how that could work, I will have some old inner tubes when I change the tyres on the 550 so will give it a go just to see.
-
Thank you Murf, I should have added as a caveat that I am not concerned too much about appearance, favouring instead functionality.
-
These are the CB250/350K ---292--- ones I moulded in 70 Shore A' PU using a 3-D printed mould. Originals NLA and nobody has NOS stock i.e DS /CMS etc and when you do occasionally find 'em they cost an arm and a leg. Originally a '68 CB450K1 part ...going by the Part. No.
[attachimg=1]