Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: Neilw on February 09, 2026, 10:34:54 PM
-
I'm trying to find a solution for painting my 550 F2 Engine.
What's the current thinking on silver paint for the top and bottom ends?
What have people used that's been successful? Is a primer coat needed and a top coat lacquer as well?
Is there something available for people who don't have access to Oven Bake?
-
decent VHT paint. Never used a primer, just a couple of light coats to get adhesion before building up the layers.
VHT engine enamel spray
I was doing a 750F2, so needed satin black. Paint stays a little soft until heat cured. Then it's heat and chemical resistant.
-
I used Simoniz aluminium engine paint, really good finish
-
Were those Honda Cloud Silver (as is my 350F)..... you can still buy it, or Duplicolor DE1615.
Two light coats, I did not use any clearcoat. Dries just fine with engine heat, but I'd let it flash off/cure for a few days first.
-
Just done mine when engine stripped right down.
Everything apart from cylinder head and barrel vapor blasted then etch primer, solvent base coat sparkly silver (you'd be amazed how many shades of silver there are) then 2-pack tough clear coat.
Barrel and head in caliper silver good for up to about 250 celcius which exactly matches other silver.
Exhaust clamps blasted and painted VHT silver.
Looks great and still perfect condition after quite a few heat cycles and miles.
-
Do a search on this site: “Simoniz”. The recommendation by Nurse Julie is the right one.
-
Oh, and to get optimal results an oven bake is essential in my humble opinion.
-
Simoniz SIMVHT31D.