Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: Johnny4428 on February 28, 2026, 09:02:40 AM

Title: Not the best job!
Post by: Johnny4428 on February 28, 2026, 09:02:40 AM
This is hilarious I had to share, but the good news is it works! Bike starts and stops and charges on the new button controls which are lying on the bench at the minute. I will of course tidy up now that I know it works.
Awaiting just a simple key switch to fit as well.
Title: Re: Not the best job!
Post by: Laverda Dave on February 28, 2026, 10:48:23 AM
Well done Johnny. I wouldn't tidy it up, it looks like my 1978 Moto Morini 3.5 and that wiring was as it left the factory!
Title: Re: Not the best job!
Post by: Yetanotherbike on February 28, 2026, 11:52:23 AM
On one of my many projects (a Saab 96V4) After an engine rebuild, I suddenly realised I had the opportunity to make it start for the first time in 17 years of slumber.
The problem was I didn't have any plug leads, a minor detail. So I improvised with stripping some 2.5mm twin and earth cable. Needs must!
Title: Re: Not the best job!
Post by: Johnny4428 on February 28, 2026, 01:55:04 PM
Surely no Dave! 😳 Cant beat a bit of bodge. Quite a few wires to go in there yet, lights, indicators, horn, neutral switch wire etc, so better tidy up. Who needs plug caps!
Title: Re: Not the best job!
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on February 28, 2026, 02:18:37 PM
I had a metal shrouded plug cap fail driving down to Cornwall in an Automatic Opel Record 1900.
An auto on 3 cylinders is barely able to accelerate. :-[
Car was under warranty, dealership near Bridgewater had no part on stock, also not very helpful.

I used a nappy pin to push into the carbon plug lead , the loop on the pin was made to fit the plug.
It worked a treat, that bodge remained in place for around six weeks as the part was on factory back order in Germany.
Title: Re: Not the best job!
Post by: TrickyMicky on February 28, 2026, 03:00:18 PM
My last real bodge was 4miles from home, so, a 1 hour walk pushing it, or an 8 minute very careful ride. This was on the 400, and the main fuse had cried enough and I had no spare.  Even though all myn thoughts were scre aming "Don't do this", I found that the small screwdriver bits that we all use nowadays fit the fuseholders perfectly, and yes, this was after I had identified the cause!!!
Title: Re: Not the best job!
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on February 28, 2026, 04:50:23 PM
My last real bodge was 4miles from home, so, a 1 hour walk pushing it, or an 8 minute very careful ride. This was on the 400, and the main fuse had cried enough and I had no spare.  Even though all myn thoughts were scre aming "Don't do this", I found that the small screwdriver bits that we all use nowadays fit the fuseholders perfectly, and yes, this was after I had identified the cause!!!

The screwdriver bit would take some current to blow.  ;D
The loom would burn out first.
Title: Re: Not the best job!
Post by: Johnny4428 on March 01, 2026, 09:26:04 PM
That nearly outdoes the 6” nail Micky! Like the nappy pin fix Ted.