Honda-SOHC
Other Stuff => Tricks & Tips => Topic started by: Laverda Dave on March 05, 2026, 03:32:34 PM
-
I stumbled across this on YouTube.
I need to clean the carbs of the NC30 and I'll give this method a try although I'll first use the Allendale cleaner in a jar and will then try the petrol in a jar method.
The big upside is you don't have to heat the water in the cleaner.
https://youtu.be/BTN7-C72eHA?si=lR-rb7YlLWDy2yVw
-
Yes that's how I used mine. A glass container works better than plastic. If it's only small pieces you can float the container half full of whatever cleaner takes your fancy. Those foil recepticals that pies come in are quite handy so long as there not perforated.
Do be carefull of volatile solvents though, if I'm using paraffin or white spirit, I do it outside.
Regards
Dave.
-
very good idea, I have only ever used water and cleaning solution, so this is a must to try. thanks for sharing :-)
-
Used the jars (glass with metal lid) of Darbo Minis in a similar way...
Filled with carb cleaner, threw the brass in, lid on, sunk it in the (already heated) ultrasonic...
-
On brassware I have found white vinegar works well.
(Jar in the Ultrasound Bath)
-
Great video. Thank you for this.
I only have a one Liter unit and it will fit all sohc carburetors one at a time.
I use this all the time for bolts,nuts and all kinds of hardware.
Water and Dawn will make your footpegs look like new. Gets all the old dirt down in the crevases clean in 10 minutes.
-
I have a parts rumbler that turned out to be not very effective for what I bought it for, but I am finding other uses for it. Great for throwing small home made brackets in to Finnish off edges also with small air tight containers and a little petrol small parts nuts bolts etc. Just switch on and leave for an hour or so.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-
Wow, that was really interesting. Thanks for sharing a good find.
-
On the question of cleaning. How do you guys cope with components that must remain in situ or couldn't possibly fit in a bottle or basket?
-
If you was to be cleaning stubborn blocked jets in petrol in a jar in the water like shown in the video how long would you run a cycle for?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-
I done mine for 10 mins, worked well
-
I used Allendales solution 4:1 mix at 60 deg for 15 minutes, but this didn’t touch the partially blocked pilot jets. I eventually heated the pilot jets in a gas flame and cleared the internal ash with a piano wire that slid easily through the jet.
The real problem I faced were blocked pathways in the carb bodies.Multiple attempts in the ultrasonic just didn’t do the job. In the end I used multiple cans of STP carb cleaner forced through the fuel routes directed by blocking each of the routes in turn.