Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: Peterplank on March 11, 2026, 08:18:25 PM

Title: New battery recommendations ?
Post by: Peterplank on March 11, 2026, 08:18:25 PM
Can anyone recommend a decent battery please ?
Title: Re: New battery recommendations ?
Post by: Johnwebley on March 11, 2026, 08:30:57 PM
I like the Motobatt

Seems to thrive on neglect

No liquid in it,so no vent to get acid on the pipes,

Charge for 24hrs before installing, then ignore it

If not used, maybe a top up charge for a a couple of hours only,

But, that is my opinion and experience



Sent from my SM-A546E using Tapatalk

Title: Re: New battery recommendations ?
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on March 11, 2026, 08:52:51 PM
I'm a Motobatt fan as well, iirc they have left and right connection points so adding any extra wires such as a charging plug is easy.
Title: Re: New battery recommendations ?
Post by: Bryanj on March 11, 2026, 09:12:38 PM
I have used Tanya which is cheaper and lasted well
Title: Re: New battery recommendations ?
Post by: Johnny4428 on March 11, 2026, 10:13:26 PM
“Follow the yellow brick road” 😂
Title: Re: New battery recommendations ?
Post by: Peterplank on March 11, 2026, 10:21:30 PM
Thankyou, Motobatt ordered...
I'll find out if I got the carbs right very soon...
Title: Re: New battery recommendations ?
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on March 12, 2026, 02:30:52 AM
I have used Tanya which is cheaper and lasted well

Bryan, ehen you mention Tanya as cheaper and  lasting well are you referring to their own Powerline  brand?
Title: Re: New battery recommendations ?
Post by: Bryanj on March 12, 2026, 06:09:51 AM
Yes, thats what was on the 500
Title: Re: New battery recommendations ?
Post by: deltarider on March 12, 2026, 09:52:50 AM
I prefer the conventional Yuasa batteries, a precise fit for our bikes. On my bike each Yuasa lasted 7 years. If you wanna profit fully from AGM technique like Motobatt offers, 14,8 V charging is needed. Gel batteries on the otherhand don't like charging over 14,4V. Acid lead batteries like the Yuasa are forgiving and deal with spikes nicely. No adapters needed and no risk of error connecting.
Title: Re: New battery recommendations ?
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on March 12, 2026, 03:13:32 PM
I prefer the conventional Yuasa batteries, a precise fit for our bikes. On my bike each Yuasa lasted 7 years. If you wanna profit fully from AGM technique like Motobatt offers, 14,8 V charging is needed. Gel batteries on the otherhand don't like charging over 14,4V. Acid lead batteries like the Yuasa are forgiving and deal with spikes nicely. No adapters needed and no risk of error connecting.

I'm a big fan of Yuasa batteries, they are fitted to our Cars, iirc they use EFB technology. Oddly enough when I needed a battery for my bikes I was at the time unable to find a supplier so ended up with Motobatt.

My latest C-Tek charger has AGM auto detect built into the display.
Title: Re: New battery recommendations ?
Post by: taysidedragon on March 12, 2026, 03:49:39 PM
I've got a Motobatt on my 400f, it's now 7 years old and still going strong. In the winter I just top up the charge every 4-6 weeks or so with a charger suitable for all battery types. Easy care. 👍
Title: Re: New battery recommendations ?
Post by: mickwinf on March 12, 2026, 04:50:41 PM
Motobatt for me too, tried  a yuasa and lasted one year. As many things the quality seems to have dropped.
Title: Re: New battery recommendations ?
Post by: Sesman on March 12, 2026, 08:44:46 PM
Buy cheap buy twice…..which might work🤔
Title: Re: New battery recommendations ?
Post by: Laverda Dave on March 13, 2026, 04:29:37 PM
Mottabatt every time for me (or an Odysey if you can afford it and find one that will fit).