Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: Ken4004 on March 26, 2026, 04:37:40 PM
-
I have just been to a coach works to get a quote to apply top coat to my fuel tank, the tank is already resprayed and the decals have been applied and the quote to just apply two coats of top coat was between £150 and £200 which I thought was a bit strap.
I just wondered if anyone has had this done recently and if so how much did it cost, this does not include rubbing down / prepping the paint prior to apply the top coat which I will do myself.
-
Did mine with Spraymax 2K in a can and its petrol resistant. Gives superb finish but £25 a can inc delivery approximately. Have also done it with Devilbiss SRi mini gun but TBH finish was about the same using Mipa 2K gloss clear.
-
I did my own using 2 pack petrol resistant lacquer in a rattle can from our local auto paint supplier
Like Ash said about 25.00 a tin easy enough to apply and a great finish
I would agree that the quote would seem a bit steep just for finish coat.
-
I had a bad experience doing mine with 2k promax, followed the instructions and did it mid summer but it hasn't hardened and definitely isnt fuel proof
-
Thats about 1 1/2 hours work without the cost of the laquer
-
This was clear-coated by me with Spraymax 2K aerosol . Not flatted or polished either ...finish straight from the can
Colour was done with spraygun.
[attachimg=1]
-
I had a bad experience doing mine with 2k promax, followed the instructions and did it mid summer but it hasn't hardened and definitely isnt fuel proof
Do you mean ProXL Dom? Spraymax 2k is deffo fuel resistant.
"Yes, SprayMax 2K lacquer (clear coat) is fuel-resistant and commonly used on motorcycle tanks and areas exposed to gasoline. The two-component (
) system, which mixes hardener within the aerosol can, offers superior chemical, petrol, and abrasion resistance compared to standard
sprays, creating a durable, professional-grade finish"
-
You're quite right Ash! Disappointing as I got a cracking finish on it
-
This was clear-coated by me with Spraymax 2K aerosol . Not flatted or polished either ...finish straight from the can
Colour was done with spraygun.
(Attachment Link)
I used to have one of those in that same colour 😭😭😭😭
-
You're quite right Ash! Disappointing as I got a cracking finish on it
I had a real run-in with ProXL... I used their 2k primer which they and hence all distributors claimed was isocyanate free ... yet is clearly stated in tiny print on the can that it does contain iso. I told them about it but they did nothing about it. So I gave them a month to change their documentation , otherwise, I threatened to report them to HSE. They promptly changed it but a year later , suppliers on eBay were still selling it as iso-free.
-
Thanks for the feedback guys , I am going to try and strike a cash in hand deal but if it’s not reasonable I will give it a go myself.
I didn’t realise it would take 1 1/2 hours to do assumed it was two coats at 15 minutes a coat
-
Everything from bike restoration services, building materials, eating out etc have doubled in price since COVID.
Restoring motorcycles has now become a very expensive hobby. This is especially so when you compare restoring an old motorcycle compared to buying a new one, I found it would have been cheaper to have bought a new RE650 compared to restoring the Honda TL125 I restored last year!
I know the TL has more historical value but it does make you wonder if it makes sense to spend so much money restoring an old bike that in all probability will get little use compared to spending the same amount or less, on a new bike built to be used in all weathers with creature comforts of good breaks, suspension, ABS and fuel injection.
When I bought my RE650 two years ago I paid £2,600 for it with 2,200 miles on it. Full history and absolutely immaculate. A full paint job with decals on a 400/4 will be around £1k, chrome plating of mudguards, handlebars, light rim will be the same. Hard chrome forks £300, frame paint £400.....that's more than I paid for a two year old bike!
I'm not in to restoring bikes to make money, it's my hobby but it's becoming so expensive to do nowadays it does make me wonder especially considering there are so many modern retros available now.
-
Just had my tank top coated and I managed to strike a deal £120 for cash, my reason for going with this price is the fact that I just spent £120 filling up the car with diesel so that reall6 put it into perspective.
They also put the tank in the oven for each coat and I am very happy with the results.
-
I gave up worrying about how much this cost it was a case of I’ve started so I’ll finish, I would like to do an XT 500 but again the cost of going that would be too much. I might just get a ratty one and get it working and enjoy it [ quote author=Laverda Dave link=topic=32567.msg316779#msg316779 date=1774603077]
Everything from bike restoration services, building materials, eating out etc have doubled in price since COVID.
Restoring motorcycles has now become a very expensive hobby. This is especially so when you compare restoring an old motorcycle compared to buying a new one, I found it would have been cheaper to have bought a new RE650 compared to restoring the Honda TL125 I restored last year!
I know the TL has more historical value but it does make you wonder if it makes sense to spend so much money restoring an old bike that in all probability will get little use compared to spending the same amount or less, on a new bike built to be used in all weathers with creature comforts of good breaks, suspension, ABS and fuel injection.
When I bought my RE650 two years ago I paid £2,600 for it with 2,200 miles on it. Full history and absolutely immaculate. A full paint job with decals on a 400/4 will be around £1k, chrome plating of mudguards, handlebars, light rim will be the same. Hard chrome forks £300, frame paint £400.....that's more than I paid for a two year old bike!
I'm not in to restoring bikes to make money, it's my hobby but it's becoming so expensive to do nowadays it does make me wonder especially considering there are so many modern retros available now.
[/quote]
-
I share your sentiments as probably most of us do. I don’t think I will do another restoration, which is what I also enjoy doing but being retired I will always be tinkering around. (Probably don’t have room either)😳 Even “needs tidying” grows financial tenticals!😂
-
I really enjoy tinking as well , I get alot of enjoyment sorting out problems because if the satisfaction of the end result.
I am a very patient person and always like a challenge, I might try and find another bike with issues and get it working again but not necessarily restore it but get it in a rideable safe condition and then sell it on just for the enjoyment, the only issue is getting past the wife .
She will probably say “why do you need another bike you’ve got two already “
At least she knows what I am up to in the shed, I did meet a guy once that had 3 classic bikes in his front room , my first question was are you married I think you know the answer to that one.