Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: allankelly1 on March 30, 2026, 07:07:36 PM

Title: New project
Post by: allankelly1 on March 30, 2026, 07:07:36 PM
Hello all and hope you are all well.

Not been about for a while as sold my little CB400F a couple of years ago to fund the move up to Yorkshire.

Well got another to restore

Bit different from the last one and inherited it from my late dad.

Want to restore it to the same standard as my original so going to take a bit of time love and money but should be nice when finished and will sound a bit spicy with those four open pipes

Ride safe all and watch this space.

Best wishes always to you all Al.
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20260330/1079804786c08d8119b3c7f6cbf2b3d9.jpg)


(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20260330/fb084b805acb3ed77e72e586fbd222d3.jpg)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: New project
Post by: Laverda Dave on March 30, 2026, 08:16:20 PM
Great project Allan.
Those open pipes look (and probably sound) glorious 😀.
Keep us posted on progress.
Title: New project
Post by: allankelly1 on March 30, 2026, 08:20:44 PM
Hi Dave

Hope all is well.

Think it’s going to be a bit of a project including a rebuild from scratch

Trouble is these followed me home too

Originally was planning to keep the CB400F and move on the outfit and the little CB77 super-hawk but now need to have a think first but all three need lots of TLC (https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20260330/012ae7fd01d1e050983c102461faea80.jpg)
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20260330/7a58ea7ab6674014e436e1ad4ed1ae0e.jpg)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: New project
Post by: Johnny4428 on March 30, 2026, 10:33:41 PM
Why buy one when you can buy three? Interesting projects there! That’s a interesting front end set up on that tourer.
Title: Re: New project
Post by: Bryanj on March 30, 2026, 10:44:59 PM
Leading link but not hub centre, lighter steering with chair
Title: Re: New project
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on March 30, 2026, 10:53:10 PM
Hi Allan long time no speak, is that a Honda 305 Super Sport, quite rare I suspect?

I don't recognise the Combo make, leading link iirc was on my old Ariel Leader, much shorter front link. Is that a factory standard set up?
Title: Re: New project
Post by: allankelly1 on March 31, 2026, 08:00:59 AM
Hi Ted

Yes been a while

Yes the combo is Kawasaki GTR1000 has been fitted with a Watsonian Grand-prix  sidecar that has been factory set up with leading link front end converted rear wheel too

And yes the other bike is a CB77 305 but has been fitted with Honda factory resets front drop bars and steering damper etc so a bit of a rare bird.

All three bikes were inherited from dad and we’re going to be just chucked out by my nephew who is dealing with the estate and has no interest in the bikes so I asked if I could have them and just cost me transport home.

Just now need to decide what to do with them as original plan was to sell the combo and CB77 and just keep the CB400f as not much room in the workshop with 5 bikes

Best wishes Alan.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: New project
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on March 31, 2026, 03:01:26 PM
Welcome back, the CB77 is the bike I could not afford as a student, I settled for the 250 cc version, a friend had a new CB77  305 Super Sport for his 21st Birthday.

Online they seem to call them a Honda 305 Super-Hawk, I only knew the as a Super Sport. My mates bike had the same sports  bars.

Fwiw I would treat the 305 as a keeper if I had your choices.
Title: Re: New project
Post by: Bryanj on March 31, 2026, 03:18:49 PM
Sidecar bikes can be a hard sell and dont seem to make what they ought to ne worth, the 305 is an uncommon beast now and if it does not need much could well be worth a place in the garage
Title: Re: New project
Post by: allankelly1 on March 31, 2026, 03:54:16 PM
Thanks Bryan for the advice

I was thinking the same as the outfit needs a fair bit of work but the little 305 is almost ready to roll

Maybe I will join the Watsonian FB forum and see if anybody would be interested in the outfit as I know the Watsonian sidecars go for a reasonable price

Plus it’s a big lump taking up a fair bit of space in the workshop.

Thanks again Al


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: New project
Post by: Laverda Dave on March 31, 2026, 10:29:38 PM
I would really keep the 305 Allan, lovely looking bike and it takes me back to when I was 18 and rode down to Dorking on my CB160 to the BMS (Bruce Main Smith, famous road tester back in the 60's) shop just to buy his Road Test book. The 305 was included (although it may have been the CB72, I dont think the UK got the 305, Ash will know) and it knocked spots off the British bikes of the time with its sophistication. It really does have a classic look to it and judging by your photo its all there, classic biking bliss :)
Title: New project
Post by: allankelly1 on March 31, 2026, 10:35:09 PM
Hi Dave

After a think today we have decided to keep the CB77 305 and the CB400F as miss my other one

Got some interest already in the outfit so now planning to move this on and then use the funds from this to restore the other two plus outfit just take up too much room in the workshop.

Catch up again soon Al.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: New project
Post by: TrickyMicky on April 01, 2026, 05:41:43 PM
I would really keep the 305 Allan, lovely looking bike and it takes me back to when I was 18 and rode down to Dorking on my CB160 to the BMS (Bruce Main Smith, famous road tester back in the 60's) shop just to buy his Road Test book. The 305 was included (although it may have been the CB72, I dont think the UK got the 305, Ash will know) and it knocked spots off the British bikes of the time with its sophistication. It really does have a classic look to it and judging by your photo its all there, classic biking bliss :)
Hi Dave, the hopefully attached ancient photo shows  the UK CB77 I bought for £5 in 1973. I had every intention of having a go at sprinting instead of just being a start line marshal.  Like many things in life, it never happened, so I broke it and sold all the parts. I think I made about £25 profit. Wish I'd had a crystal ball!!!
Title: Re: New project
Post by: Rozabikes Tim on April 01, 2026, 06:12:06 PM
Said it before I know but I love the look of the angled, not upright cylinders on that generation of motors.