Honda-SOHC

General => New Member Introductions => Topic started by: Towsejames on April 01, 2026, 08:26:36 AM

Title: 1976 CB550F new member
Post by: Towsejames on April 01, 2026, 08:26:36 AM
Hi, I’m James from Hull East Yorkshire.

I’ve just took delivery of my 1976 Honda CB550F. My dad used to own one and I love the way they look.

I’ve got a few jobs to do on the bike and a few bits I need to work out - I’m currently waiting for my logbook before I can get it registered as historic and insure it. (Assuming all is well)

The bike is a runner with lots of bits that need tweaking - I actually thought I’d bought a 550K but reading the frame number it turns out it’s actually a 550F with K tank and side panels. I actually really like the 550K style though. Bike is fitted with a Laser 4into1 exhaust and looks like it has the F bars with rear grab handles removed.

I’ve got a few issues with missing parts which I need to investigate and track down but I’ll take it one step at a time - I’ve had the bike running and all sounds okay at the moment.

My biggest issue is the kick start lever hitting the rear brake lever making it unusable at the moment.

Thanks for the welcome.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: 1976 CB550F new member
Post by: Laverda Dave on April 01, 2026, 09:53:29 AM
Welcome to the forum James and for getting yourself a project.
The issue of a lazy kickstart has been covered previously, here's a link to the thread:
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,29348.msg281554.html#msg281554
Others maybe along soon with some more advice.
Title: Re: 1976 CB550F new member
Post by: Nurse Julie on April 01, 2026, 09:58:34 AM
Welcome to the forum James.
Title: Re: 1976 CB550F new member
Post by: Orcade-Ian on April 01, 2026, 04:48:08 PM
Hi James,
Welcome to this wonderful forum - lots of great advice and ideas for sourcing parts - many of us have been where you are with a bike and me, literally I'm from 'Ull too.  I have a 76 reg 550F1 and a few others from Honda.  My mate, also from Hull bought a new 550 F2 back in the day from Hull Motorcycle Centre in Witham (salesman was Stuart Myers, who I went to school with but sadly no longer with us.)

Ian
Title: Re: 1976 CB550F new member
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on April 01, 2026, 05:21:03 PM
Welcome to the sohc community James.
Title: Re: 1976 CB550F new member
Post by: Towsejames on April 01, 2026, 06:14:47 PM
Hi James,
Welcome to this wonderful forum - lots of great advice and ideas for sourcing parts - many of us have been where you are with a bike and me, literally I'm from 'Ull too.  I have a 76 reg 550F1 and a few others from Honda.  My mate, also from Hull bought a new 550 F2 back in the day from Hull Motorcycle Centre in Witham (salesman was Stuart Myers, who I went to school with but sadly no longer with us.)

Ian
Wow thanks for the welcome! And so close by!

Would you have any photos of your bike, some nice close ups of the rear brake pedal lever around where the rear brake lamp switch is and the set up for reference? This could be really handy.

Thanks in advance


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: 1976 CB550F new member
Post by: Orcade-Ian on April 01, 2026, 06:38:09 PM
Hi James,
From Hull, not IN Hull, we are on the West Mainland of the Orkney Isles (so about 550 miles away by coincidence) but yes, I will get a few pics of what you need - will have to be tomorrow though - a few bikes need moving as always!

Ian
Title: Re: 1976 CB550F new member
Post by: Orcade-Ian on April 01, 2026, 06:45:33 PM
Me again,
Just found a couple of general pics of right hand side, not specifically taken to show the set up but if you zoom in you might just see how it all goes.

[attach=1]

[attach=2]

They should be expandable if you click them, then zoom in.

Ian
Title: Re: 1976 CB550F new member
Post by: Orcade-Ian on April 02, 2026, 09:24:48 AM
A few better pics (hopefully). Not too easy to see everything - lots of black bits in the way!

[attach=1]

[attach=2]

[attach=3]

[attach=4]

[attach=5]


Hope this helps,
Ian
Title: Re: 1976 CB550F new member
Post by: Athame57 on April 02, 2026, 10:39:18 AM
Welcome here James!  ;D
Title: Re: 1976 CB550F new member
Post by: Oddjob on April 02, 2026, 01:29:58 PM
That all looks to be ok. Not a K model, that’s all off the F model and yours looks to be an F1. It should have green faces on the clocks. The F2 and the K3 both had blue faces.

There is a possibility the lever has been bent in the past, any damage on the underside of where your foot would push down? I do have a NOS one left if it is.
Title: Re: 1976 CB550F new member
Post by: Towsejames on April 02, 2026, 09:54:52 PM
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20260402/292f06261d57ed87fe1da3c1da634d14.jpg)
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20260402/983bb16d84c338d4d01a057b4111661b.jpg)
Ahh so here is mine. A lot more grubby I know. The kick start lever looks to have a shorter length where it pinches to the shaft?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: 1976 CB550F new member
Post by: Towsejames on April 02, 2026, 09:55:17 PM
And my brake switch is fitted incorrectly I believe?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: 1976 CB550F new member
Post by: Towsejames on April 02, 2026, 10:38:20 PM
Thanks for photos, muchly appreciated. My foot peg also looks different, yours is bolted to where mine has nothing there and tucks up out of the way to use the kickstart I see, and mine is in a different position all together?.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: 1976 CB550F new member
Post by: Oddjob on April 03, 2026, 01:24:20 AM
500 kickstart and footrest. No wonder it is causing problems.
Title: Re: 1976 CB550F new member
Post by: Orcade-Ian on April 03, 2026, 08:26:40 AM
James,
I got a lovely new old stock brake pedal from Ken (Oddjob) and as he says, he has one left!  What's the famous come-on in almost every advert? 'Hurry, while stocks last'. If funds won't stretch that far, I have the one I replaced it with.  PM me if needed.  I should be meeting up with my Hull mate in the Highlands soon (assuming fuel available and no lockdowns - grrrrr!!!) and he will be going back home to Hull later - easy courier if needed.  I don't have a kickstart but I do have a few US spec indicator bodies and lenses - all used, some good.

Ian
Title: Re: 1976 CB550F new member
Post by: Towsejames on April 03, 2026, 12:48:27 PM
I will send you a message once I have investigated closer. I have ordered a cb550F kick start lever which looks to sit out longer. I will see if this changes anything first


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: 1976 CB550F new member
Post by: 3scs on April 03, 2026, 01:07:39 PM
I might have what you need including the return spring which is different to the k one on e bay strangely enough I bout a k3 a few years back which had a lot of parts from the f on it the brake cross shaft is also different how desperate are you asi need to swap mine which means removing the swing arm it’s on my list of jobs to do and I’m not far from you also
Title: Re: 1976 CB550F new member
Post by: Towsejames on April 03, 2026, 03:20:21 PM
I might have what you need including the return spring which is different to the k one on e bay strangely enough I bout a k3 a few years back which had a lot of parts from the f on it the brake cross shaft is also different how desperate are you asi need to swap mine which means removing the swing arm it’s on my list of jobs to do and I’m not far from you also
I will send you a message


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: 1976 CB550F new member
Post by: 3scs on April 03, 2026, 03:48:31 PM
Hi mate measure this distance and this is the correct pedal and return spring I believe
Title: Re: 1976 CB550F new member
Post by: Towsejames on April 03, 2026, 11:19:51 PM
Hi mate measure this distance and this is the correct pedal and return spring I believe
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20260403/5029754eafd9bdb087f9a79ccf6d5ee2.jpg)
I get approx 120mm


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: 1976 CB550F new member
Post by: 3scs on April 04, 2026, 11:54:45 AM
Yes that looks right I’ve got the brake pedal and spring here ready if you want them
Title: Re: 1976 CB550F new member
Post by: AshimotoK0 on April 14, 2026, 06:47:08 AM
Welcome James from another 'ull lad (I live in Willerby HU10 6)

If you haven't seen my Dropbox links they are here:

https://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,8884.0.html


550F specific : here  CB550 PARTS MANUAL

CB550K3 Parts Book (Thanks to Ken Oddjob for letting us scan his copy)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fk9l07zhkoxqhvk/CB550K3%20Parts%20Book.pdf?dl=0

CB550F2 Parts book (Massive thanks to Ken  AKA ODDJOB)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h7tm19y5fy27vvd/CB550F2_PartsBook.pdf?dl=0


https://www.dropbox.com/s/wwtfuqz1tbgj5m1/CB550_Parts.pdf?

CB500 / 550 F SHOP MANUAL .... AMMENDED 08/22
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lirtu1euydi0rol/Honda%20CB500_CB550%20%20Four%20Service%20Manual%20Ammended.pdf?dl=0


Title: Re: 1976 CB550F new member
Post by: andy120t on April 14, 2026, 07:56:04 AM
Welcome aboard James!
 I'm from Beverley, but currently living in the South....although I was up there and in the glorious Wolds at the weekend!
Title: Re: 1976 CB550F new member
Post by: Towsejames on April 15, 2026, 02:25:25 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone and nice to know there’s people nearby!

Special thanks to 3scs for helping me with the kick start issue - which is now sorted. It turns out I have a 550f frame with K swing arm and pegs. All changed to F bits now minus the swing arm which allows me to use the kick start.

My next step is onto the carbs. I’ve bought a set of Keihin 069A as the ones fitted are the PD model. I’m in the middle of cleaning up with 069As. The bike has been running on the PD set with a misfire on cylinder 4 - I suspect blocked jets. I may give these a quick blast through while I continue my thorough revamp of the 069A set.

I’m considering buying a cheap ultrasonic cleaner to make things easier as they’re fairly cheap of eBay - anyone had any experience with these?

Again thanks guys


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: 1976 CB550F new member
Post by: 3scs on April 15, 2026, 06:52:30 PM
Pleased your getting it sorted I’ve come to the conclusion that our two bikes have been stripped and carelessly rebuilt in the same shed at some point I think I’ve got your swing arm and seat stashed away somewhere 🤣