Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB650 => Topic started by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on April 09, 2026, 10:53:05 PM
-
Whilst reading some back missues of Classic & Motorcycle Mechanics I came across this article in the March 1998 edition about the CB650.
When I looked on the sohc site there had not been a post about this model in over a year.
Made me ask what memebers here think about the CB650, It might have been overshadowed by the CB750, sounds as though it ought to be a great bike if the leap from CB400 to CB500/550 is any sort of comparison.
#
#(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/55197968750_6ca700d37e_b.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/2s6E23o)March 1998 CB650 1 (https://flic.kr/p/2s6E23o) by Macabe Thiele (https://www.flickr.com/photos/187487200@N03/), on Flickr
#(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/55197709668_3b02ceaa12_b.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/2s6CG2s)March 1998 CB650 2 (https://flic.kr/p/2s6CG2s) by Macabe Thiele (https://www.flickr.com/photos/187487200@N03/), on Flickr
(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/55197968760_a94171931e_b.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/2s6E23y)March 1998 CB650 3 (https://flic.kr/p/2s6E23y) by Macabe Thiele (https://www.flickr.com/photos/187487200@N03/), on Flickr
(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/55197709683_c9faaaf99f_b.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/2s6CG2H)March CB650 4 (https://flic.kr/p/2s6CG2H) by Macabe Thiele (https://www.flickr.com/photos/187487200@N03/), on Flickr
#
#
-
An interesting read Ted.
From the journalist that was on here as "bike-pusher" I believe. Local to me and referenced Tippets Honda, a long time major dealer for them. Now gone same as many bike dealers.
Disagree with his assessment of CB750 handling being "diabolical" and commonly given from people riding smaller bikes generally (although he seems to have been generally riding bikes for magazine testing) so thought there's wider appreciation of type. Wearing Converse All-stars to ride bikes is not really showing good outlook though, is it.
Poor, worn square rear tyres will make them feel cumbersome. But good profile and ability to manhandle the mass makes for a very different outlook, in my experience.
The carbs, PD, likely to need very detailed cleaning to get them effectively running on target, not just up the sizes on mains :-\ running lean likey to have helped conserve the camshaft wear as low excess fuel doesn't cause dilution of oil to make that happen.
-
Yea, Neil Murray was Bike Pusher on here.
I met him once or twice in the early naughties and he seemed a reasonable guy.
Unfortunately, when he came on here he was rude and judgemental.
Shame really. The curse of “social media”.
He died in 2021.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-
Honda had a fueling problem with the early 650 and there was a bulletin about drilling some holes in the airbox from memory, i remember CV type carbs not PD
-
The only mid ranged SOHC to feature a Primary Chain Tensioner IIRC. A nice touch which can be fitted to the 500/550 engines with a little work. Managed to source one a few years ago and intend to fit it in my 500, when or should I say IF, I ever get round to doing the engine.
Remember road testing one at Queenies and whilst it was smooth it felt underpowered to me.
-
Hey, Ken. “ If and when….”. There are folks on this site who will assist…you only need ask.
-
No I have my pride Phil. As it is I’m getting better a little every week, I actually feel able to do a little DIY in a few days. When I’ve finished the jobs I should have finished last year I’ll tackle the 500 hopefully.