Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: Neilw on April 30, 2026, 06:28:35 PM
-
I've purchased an after market rear indicator and there is no earth. The wiring diagram shows an earth and live.
Can i attach an earth to the position next to the bulb?
-
Yes, it’s where Honda attach to when they fit an earth.
-
I would attach an earth wire even though some modern lights use a conductive plastic paint/ layer instead.
My old Vauxhall Carlton used to blow bulbs regularly, the poor contact on the reflector would make bulbs blacken after a few months. I ended up putting an earth wire on both rear lamps to fix the issue.
-
The earth is actually through the casing, the mount and to frame
-
The earth is actually through the casing, the mount and to frame
The wiring diagram shows the earth going to a three way earth connector, which is what i was intending to attach it to. I guess eventually it grounds to the frame or engine?
-
Whose wiring diagram?
-
The 500 has both earth and feed Bryan. The earth is riveted to the mount on the rear and you can easily miss it being there. The 550f had them attached to the bulb mount screw, a much better system.
-
There is only 1 wire on all the 500 rear indicators i have and 2 on the US front ones, 1 on the UK ones.
There is a short ground wire fronm the bulb holder to one of the holder mounts from memory as some bulb holders are rubber mounted.
There was a ground wire riveted to the back of the steel mounting that the head mounted to
-
Whose wiring diagram?
I have the 550 f2, wiring diagrams in Haynes and also Hondas.Orange and Green cables from the left and Green and Light Blue for the right.
-
As long as you are using the correct shouldered mounting bolt and rubber mountings the earth will be just fine through the frame. I too have used those aftermarket market indicators using the single wire/bolt ground with no problems.