Honda-SOHC

Other Stuff => Misc / Open => Topic started by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on May 10, 2026, 10:58:07 AM

Title: Brushable VHT engine paint question?
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on May 10, 2026, 10:58:07 AM
I'm looking for a suitable black paint for the block & cylinder head on my 400NA Superdream.
I know you can spray aerosol paint into a lid then use a brush, ideally I want to use paint from a tin for a decent covering.
I might spray a final top coat using a rattle can if needed.

Some  paints marketed as engine paint are fine for water cooled engines, air cooled engines run hotter so I need some pointers please.

Any advice/links as to a suitable product/supplier is welcome.
Anyone used this?
#
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114730440532?var=0&_ul=GB&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338575267&toolid=100034&customid=364973559386175217&loc_interest_ms=&loc_physical_ms=9192115&adtype=pla&gclid=Cj0KCQjw2YDQBhD_ARIsAE1qeSd8bgwbJ5bnMK8F0tx_CH7ULtdxJNINNNi6OKvFm9v8ovScpRIgEmQaAvM1EALw_wcB&gbraid=0AAAAAo7SxrZKeF6ClRB6okZ9jlocuhKtN


Title: Re: Brushable VHT engine paint question?
Post by: exvalvesetdabbler on May 10, 2026, 11:47:44 AM
It used to be called cylinder black that I used on the barrel of my fizzie. Guess there's a modern equivalent around somewhere. Not sure what the finish would be like  though as it's intended for crusty/gnarly cast iron barrels.

Or have a look on frost, they carry a wide range of stuff not found in the usual sheds.

Regards
Dave.

Title: Re: Brushable VHT engine paint question?
Post by: taysidedragon on May 10, 2026, 12:45:00 PM
Granville Cylinder Black in satin finish is still available from autostores and ebay, Halfords do their own version as well, but I've not tried it.
Title: Re: Brushable VHT engine paint question?
Post by: Rayzerman on May 10, 2026, 01:55:46 PM
For touch-up years ago on my Magna, I used barbecue paint that came in a squeeze bottle.
Title: Re: Brushable VHT engine paint question?
Post by: Laverda Dave on May 10, 2026, 02:11:50 PM
I would be careful using a brush on paint Ted and especially black. The thickness of a brush on paint will be a lot thicker than spray on paint, will be difficult to apply evenly between the fins that could result in a thick coating close to the barrel/combustion chamber area and this may affect the cooling properties of the engine. Black will also hold more of the combustion heat in.
Title: Re: Brushable VHT engine paint question?
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on May 10, 2026, 04:56:34 PM
I thought black dissipates heat better than silver, hence why car radiators were painted black if they are of steel construction.

In the past I've sprayed silver aerosol paint into a cap then used a brush for missed areas. Interestingly some feedback on block paints mention it being thin. Manufacturers say thick layers results in paint surface cracks.
Title: Re: Brushable VHT engine paint question?
Post by: Skoti on May 10, 2026, 08:02:49 PM
I'm looking for a suitable black paint for the block & cylinder head on my 400NA Superdream.
I know you can spray aerosol paint into a lid then use a brush, ideally I want to use paint from a tin for a decent covering.
I might spray a final top coat using a rattle can if needed.

Some  paints marketed as engine paint are fine for water cooled engines, air cooled engines run hotter so I need some pointers please.

Any advice/links as to a suitable product/supplier is welcome.
Anyone used this?


#
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114730440532?var=0&_ul=GB&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338575267&toolid=100034&customid=364973559386175217&loc_interest_ms=&loc_physical_ms=9192115&adtype=pla&gclid=Cj0KCQjw2YDQBhD_ARIsAE1qeSd8bgwbJ5bnMK8F0tx_CH7ULtdxJNINNNi6OKvFm9v8ovScpRIgEmQaAvM1EALw_wcB&gbraid=0AAAAAo7SxrZKeF6ClRB6okZ9jlocuhKtN

Have used that Granville stuff recently that you linked to above, it brushes on well and seals up fine.

It's similar to cylinder black we used back in the 70s.

https://granvilleoil.com/prodInfo?pID=252 (https://granvilleoil.com/prodInfo?pID=252)