Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => Recommended Sources for Parts and Services => Topic started by: AshimotoK0 on May 13, 2026, 10:13:00 PM
-
Other than rip-off RS Bikepaint has anyone sourced Honda Candy Gold paint? I have a '71CB175K5 to paint. It is Honda's original Candy Gold, later Hondas were painted Candy Starlight Gold and Candy Custom Gold. I sourced some paint from CCR in Sheffield a year or so back ..described as Candy Starlight Gold but it was nothing like Starlight, Custom or Original Honda Gold. I asked the guy today if he could do any better but he tells me has illness in his family so cant assist for a while. The Starlight Gold was for a 500 Tank. I would be happy with Candy Gold Custom for the 175K5 as I compared a NOS fork ear with a NOS 500 Candy Custom fuel tank and it was a pretty close match. Even without clear coat included, RS Bikepaint will be £150 for not a lot of paint ..not good if I cock it up first time. Anyone got any ideas. I dont think you can scan candy paint.
-
Hi Ash
I have just found this but it’s still expensive at £41 per can , not sure if it’s a good match but I would certainly try a car paint instead there must be a very close match somewhere.
-
Hi Ash same supplier but only £15.00 ,at that price you could do a test piece it might be worth a try it might be a good match you never know.
-
Hi Ash, you could give these a go..
https://houseofpaints.co.uk/products/canbrush-candy-spray-paint-400ml
I used these when I brought some `flip paint` for a Mini a fews year back, price is good too.
Do you have an auto paint suplier near you, if so they should be able to do a close match and then put in a spray can for you, or a tin for you to put in a gun.
-
I tried years ago to get a match from the same man who managed to match the Boss Maroon Mettallic for me, nothing comes anywhere close, only the original 3 pack.
RS when in Bradford said they only had one gold but cantvremember which
-
There is also this but it's on silver base that is too coarse compared with the Honda paint.
https://www.jawel.co.uk/shop/product/special-fx-basecoat-candy-sphene-gold/
-
Phoned Paints4U in Grimsby and he reckons he can help me if I take a panel in. Fingers crossed 'eh. ;)
-
I've used Perfect Paints and Pigments. They do a candy gold, but not used hat colour. Had a problems once and he readily replaced it all.
https://perfectpearlsandpigments.co.uk/products/candy-24ct-gold/
-
I think with candy paint, like the flip paint I used, the more you put on, the colour changes. With the flip paint it got lighter the more you used. I had a nightmare of a job matching up a door that had dropped from its holder... even when you add the laquare it changes slightly again. good luck Ash.
-
I think with candy paint, like the flip paint I used, the more you put on, the colour changes. With the flip paint it got lighter the more you used. I had a nightmare of a job matching up a door that had dropped from its holder... even when you add the laquare it changes slightly again. good luck Ash.
Fully understand and agree.. problem with the CCR supplied paint is that I did spray out cards with it with different numbers of coats but non of them looked anything like close to Honda Candy Gold. The guy at Paints4U in Grimsby reckons if we can find a close match on one of his swatches then I sould be able to match that by applying the desired number of coats. Got to admit Candy Gold is a PITA because I painted my.mates Ariel Square Four in Candy Ruby Red and it was quite straightforward. Very easy to get 'tiger-striping' with Candy Gold. I am not a quitter though.